Rainier Gib Ledges and Ingraham Direct - 3/17/24

Hello climbing community!

Three of us climbed Rainier this past weekend via Gib Ledges on ascent and Ingraham Direct on descent. Gib Ledges were in good condition - adequate snow; however, in few spots with exposure snow cover is thinning out. Hopefully this weekend will supplement what is there.

On Ingraham Direct I counted seven crevasses that we crossed - stepped over, with bigger one of them 2 feet wide. This route will be intact for a while.

Above 12500, crevasses are well filled in, making for direct climb up.

Besides our team, this past weekend another two groups of two on skis summitted.

Good luck!

20240316_125245.jpg

20240316_152146.jpg

20240317_065259.jpg

20240317_113046.jpg

20240317_120406.jpg

20240317_123122.jpg

• Like 3
  • Snaffled 1
  • Rawk on! 1

On gib ledges above the head it was frozen, run down ice - thick. That i can see sticking around for few weeks. I hope snow coming down today will deposit to add thickness to snow at climbers feet - that is was getting this in most exposed locations.

• Wow!!! 1

14 hours ago, Anton Koveza said:

On gib ledges above the head it was frozen, run down ice - thick. That i can see sticking around for few weeks. I hope snow coming down today will deposit to add thickness to snow at climbers feet - that is was getting this in most exposed locations.

Thank you for getting back on your assessment it's much appreciated.