Effect of heat from fire on bolts

diretissimo

Here in northern Idaho we had a serious forest fire among the crags in Q Em Lin park about 30 miles east of Spokane Washington. The fire is still being worked to be fully controlled so the extent of damages isn’t known yet. 

But the fire raises a question I’ve never seen discussed before. Do the bolts in the park need to be evaluated ? Some of the faces have trees right up against the rock. If the trees were fully engulfed in flame what effect does that have on the bolts in the rock less than 3 feet away? 

Thoughts?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.mdpi.com/2571-6255/6/2/46

if you Google there is a bunch of discussion about this, but I wouldn’t trust the area without close inspection and testing.

This, like much of the other discussions about this particular topic I found Googling, is pretty much just armchair speculation, but:

it seems like there are so many factors that could impact this:

1. how hot did it actually get at each bolt?  It may be just a bolt or two are damaged and the rest are fine,  but it only takes one bad bolt to make for a bad day.

2. Type of rock and moisture content in the rock, which could not only cause problems with the bolts, the the frailty of the rock in general.  I suspect the more moisture the more things could change.

3. What kind of bolts/how were they affixed? 

Etc.. 

again just armchair talk here, not a geologist,  physicist, or psychiatrist.