Beta on the Killer Gear Shelf

PullinFool

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I built a shelf unit out of recycled 2x4s and particle board, painted white. It is 6 ft wide, 3 ft deep and 6 ft high, and has 3 shelves. It is on casters, so it can be moved for cleaning (like that ever happens). It and the gear it contains reside in a corner of the family room. My wife didn't like the way it looked, so I hung a long rod from the ceiling and I use one of her home made quilts to hide the unsightly (to her) gear.

I am lucky to have a small walk-in for my gear closet. The shelves in back are fairly deep, and hold things like tents and sleeping bags stacked like logs.

The sleeping bags are up on top in their storage bags, each surrounded by an inflated T-rest inside the bag. I happen to have three sleeping bags and three T-rests, so everyone gets a partner. Lower shelves hold tents, the folding chairs, rollup table, ice chest, snowshoes, and some miscellaneous gear. Those of you who have car camped with me know I like to live large while car-camping, and I have the gear to prove it.

On one wall, there's a row of hooks for some packs, a couple of ice axes, and a gear sling full of QDs. fruit.gif

On the floor there are a couple of Rubbermaids. One is full of kitchen stuff both for car camping and the backcountry, and the other is full of little things like gaiters, hats, gloves, hydration system, stuff sacks, that sort of thing.

This time of year my ski bag sits packed and ready to go, though other things sit packed and ready to go at other times.

Right now the skis are at the front of the closet. They move to the garage when they can't be useful, because they are always in the way.