Aid Climbing Clinic - Oct 23rd

Lambone

Where?- Seattle Vertical World

When?- Tuesday Oct 23rd 7pm-8pm (may run longer)

Whats it on?- It depends on the group, what do you want to learn? Bring questions, thats all you need! The group size will be limited to about 6. There is a ton of info to cover, so we'll try to narrow it down to specific elements. You might learn something new, or you might learn that aid climbing is stupid and you want nothing to do with it.

Why am I posting this here?- I'm just trying to spark interest and encourage folks to come check it out, 'cause believe it or not, I really like talking about aid climbing grin.gif

What else is there to do in the fall in Seattle?- Go to a movie...or bowling... or look at the internet...boulder...

P.S.- Sprayers please hold your tounges, we've all heard about how much you hate Climbing Gyms, or why one Gym is better than another. It's old news... let it go. If you don't want to come learn aid stuff cheap, I won't be offended.

[This message has been edited by lambone (edited 10-15-2001).]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five bucks flat, members or non-members. We have to charge something, otherwise people sign up and then don't show up. Then other people who really wanted to come get hosed. It's out of my hands, but I'll talk to the boss about getting the cash donated to the Access Fund. I don't get paid any extra for it, I do it for fun smile.gif Our regular classes are forty bucks, so these clinics are a hell of a deal. The more intrest we have, the more they will happen.

All of the clinics are full but mine. I don't know whats wrong with people, Aid climbing rules(when its raining)...

Thanks, Matt

[This message has been edited by lambone (edited 10-15-2001).]

Great idea! Gyms are a great place to teach people to aid climb. I have taught a few clinics in the gym and they were very sucessfull. Lots of interesting scenerios can be setup to mimic a real wall route. Well except for all the pain. I taught someone in the gym and then took him up el cap for his first real aid climb. He puked from pitch 5. It was way proud.

Lambone maybe you can make everyone hang in their harness from the time they get there to the time they leave. Put a little weight on their harness to so it really hurts. Or make them follow a pitch that traversed around the whole gym. And don't leave any lower out points like their partners are probably going to do.

Seriously though this sounds like a good oppurtunity for those who haven't done much aid climbing.

Shortly after I started climbing, I went to an aid clibing seminar put on by Dan Cauthorn at the old Vertical World on Elliot (It was the Vertical Club then).

I learned that aid climbing was not about rescuing other people (aiding (helping others) + climbing: get it?). Who'd a thunk it? That information was very helpful and saved me from a lot of confusion the following summer on Town Crier, Liberty Bell and Half Dome.

matt

Cool Guys, glad to hear there is some interest out there!

Kevin, yes you can sign up over the phone. The number is 206-283-4497. Warning: they will ask you to pay up over the phone. Visa or MC works, again its $5.

Wallstein, thats a great idea! It would really weed out the true aid lovers. Next we can send everyone into the back room to poop in a bag while hanging from the wall (one at a time of course). To top it of we will beat everyones hands with carabiners, and grind their skin off with sandpaper!

Unfortunately we will not have much time for hands on instruction. Remember folks, what you will get for $5 is an hour long clinic. It doesn't offer us enough time to get really deep into technical stuff. Hopefully everyone will be satisfied, my goal is that everyone will walk away feeling like they got their five bucks worth.

Here's an idea-

If you are coming, and you have a second to spare (obviously you do if you are reading this), go ahead and shoot me a private message or e-mail about what you'd like to learn. Let me know what level aid climber you are (never done it - sick A5 wall rat). The more I can narrow it down the better the clinic will be! Thanks all...