[TR] Cashmere Mountain consolation - North Ridge 7/19/2012

Le Piston

Trip: Cashmere Mountain consolation - North Ridge

Date: 7/19/2012

Trip Report:

My four day climbing trip into the Southern Pickets being foiled, my friend Rod and I wanted to climb something in a day, given the narrow weather window. He had not yet climbed Cashmere (I had just done it June 30th) so up we went. My body wasn't fully recovered from the previous day's 10 miles bushwhacking, but we made good time up the Eightmile Creek trail. It was hot going and the bugs were out in force, but the trail is in excellent shape and the expanding views helped.IMG_02412.JPG Last month I was able to cut crosscountry on snow from Little Caroline Lake (thus avoiding going up to Windy Pass) but most of the snow is gone, so up to Windy Pass we went.IMG_02492.JPG This adds distance to the approach, but also great views...especially Glacier Peak.IMG_02902.JPG We arrived at the saddle (about 8000 feet) and took a break.IMG_03091.JPG We got onto the North face and traversed on easy ground and two snow patches to the North ridge.IMG_03042.JPG The snowpatches are a bit runout, but the snow was soft and easy to manage. Once on the North Ridge, class 3 terrain takes you right up to the summit.IMG_03004.JPG There were swarms of lady bugs and flying ants, so we only stayed long enough for traditional Ritter Sport summit shots and a few pictures.IMG_02821.JPGIMG_02812.JPGPanorama_144.JPG Cashmere makes for a long, but scenic day climb of 17 miles round-trip...it wasn't Degenhardt and the Chopping Block, but a nice consolation.Panorama_141.JPG

Gear Notes:

Took ice axe, crampons, and helmet. Only used the helmet because of some loose rock on the north ridge.

Approach Notes:

Lots of ravenous flies and skeeters. Right now there are plenty of little creeks for water along the trail. The trail is in great shape with a few muddy spots.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice.

cashmere also has little-known technical route up the central rib of the east south face (fa gordon briody and partner). marko and i repeated it recently and found 2 pitches of 5.9ish crack climbing (perhaps easier to the right, lots of variations possible) leading from the lowest point of the face to the crest of the rib. a couple long simul-sections of 4th-low 5th then lead almost directly to the summit. it has suprisingly good rock but will probably never become popular.

Edited by rat

Can you point out where on the EF this route is?

P7110092.JPG

I've heard of some technical climbs on the South Face, and found some old climbing gear on it once, but never the EF.

P7110118.JPG

North Face of East Cashmere has some potential. ~900 feet high.

P7100045.JPG

There are nice spots to camp just below Windy Pass that get you close to Cashmere. I climbed it on Saturday as a 10hr day trip, but that could be hard for a kid. The traverse across the North face to the North ridge route that is described in this TR is the least exposed approach. Loose rock poses a bit of a hazard, so I'd recommend helmets. The West ridge route has more sustained exposure, but better rock quality. You may want to belay your kid for the final summit block scramble.

Edited by Smoots