[TR] Mt. Hood - South Side Route 5/1/2014

You

Trip: Mt. Hood - South Side Route

Date: 5/1/2014

Trip Report:

I'll keep this one short and simple since most people here are probably already familiar with the south side route.

We departed Timberline around 2 AM. Mashed potato snow to begin with but it began to firm up to a comfortable degree by the time we reached the top of the lifts. Crampons on at this point.

A ranger advised us to take the old chute route, telling us that the Pearly Gates had been blocked for quite some time. This was bad beta. Upon reaching the Pearly Gates, we found both the left and right chutes to be clear and open.

The left chute was mostly iced over, and I was able to make it up thanks to having two ice tools. The other members of our group went up the right chute.

I was the first to summit -- right around 6 AM. Following me was a Timberline guide and his two clients. A few minutes later I was joined by the three other members of my party.

Great climbing conditions, great views, and great climbing partners (met here on CC.com)!

Gv4SGOD.jpgcMCJHjH.jpgnv3KPsS.jpgMSYq6QR.jpgsBYVN56.jpgt6RgFWh.jpga6IxgXG.jpg8PLbK4y.jpgDY7ql41.jpgFfJTVon.jpgIxJ2Xu8.jpgC3hl0Ic.jpg

Gear Notes:

Crampons, Helmet, Ice Axe, Ice Tools, 4-Season Boots

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic