Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber


      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  

[TR] Mt. Hood - South Side Route 5/1/2014

Recommended Posts

Trip: Mt. Hood - South Side Route


Date: 5/1/2014


Trip Report:

I'll keep this one short and simple since most people here are probably already familiar with the south side route.


We departed Timberline around 2 AM. Mashed potato snow to begin with but it began to firm up to a comfortable degree by the time we reached the top of the lifts. Crampons on at this point.


A ranger advised us to take the old chute route, telling us that the Pearly Gates had been blocked for quite some time. This was bad beta. Upon reaching the Pearly Gates, we found both the left and right chutes to be clear and open.


The left chute was mostly iced over, and I was able to make it up thanks to having two ice tools. The other members of our group went up the right chute.


I was the first to summit -- right around 6 AM. Following me was a Timberline guide and his two clients. A few minutes later I was joined by the three other members of my party.


Great climbing conditions, great views, and great climbing partners (met here on CC.com)!




Gear Notes:

Crampons, Helmet, Ice Axe, Ice Tools, 4-Season Boots

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the report and pictures. I had plans to go May 3 with a more experienced buddy, but given the avalanche risk we decided not to. How were the conditions? Was avalanche risk something you considered?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this