Rainier Partner, May

DavisMeschke

Looking for a Rainier partner for mid to late May, depending on taking time off. Coming from the Wind River Range (Wyoming) I have experience on moderate to steep snow, moderate ice, backcountry travel, and glacier navigation (although not much crevasse rescue bacuase of the small size of our crevasses). I'm a confident 5.8 trad/ 5.10 sport climber; lots of alpine rock under my belt.

So... Looking for a Rainier partner in mid to late May. Not looking to hop on anything technically hard unless conditions or partner are right. Possible routes: Emmon's Glacier, Fuhrer Finger, DC route...

Lemme know if you're interested.

Cheers,

Davis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've read some good beta on all these routes here on CascadeClimbers in the form of trip reports. Some reports are quite detailed and have annotated topos.

Also, both the route finding and climbing on both LR and RR are much more straight forward than on Curtis Ridge. Kind of in different leagues. Looks like an early opening of May 16 is expected for the White River road, which bodes well for both Curtis Ridge and Liberty Ridge.

Dan

Edited by DPS

Hey Davis,

I am interested in doing Rainier the weekend of May 13th.

I will be in town on business earlier in that week, and I have been looking for a partner myself.

I am definitely interested in meeting up if you're in?

One good thing about that weekend is that it's the last weekend you can climb without a registered permit. I believe you simply grab the permit at the ranger station before taking off.

Topher

Edited by TopherBarrow

Liberty ridge has a TON of TR's and good beta so won't elaborate. Here are a couple of links to some Curtis Ridge Beta. Also as DPS said Curtis Ridge really is in an entirely different league than Liberty Ridge.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1125705/TR_Mount_Rainier_Curtis_Ridge_#Post1125705

http://www.markpthomas.com/mountaineering/trip-reports/washington/curtis-ridge-attempt