Keeping or returning my gri gri?

Wllperegoy

So a week ago I bought a gri gri for a trip down to Smith. I was getting it because I figured it'd help with catching lead falls better because I'm still a bit new to that. I also got it because I figured it'd be nice when belaying someone on top rope on a hard route.

So the trip is over now and I have some mixed feelings about the device. It was awesome for belaying people on top rope routes on places where they would be stuck and would be hanging a lot. But when it came to lead belaying it was a pain in the ass honestly, paying out slack was definitely do-able but it was more of a hassle than I liked. I actually switched to my atc for one lead belay and it was a lot better for that. I also found that lowering with it was honestly trickier than my atc. I felt like I was almost unsafe when lowering with it.

So what would you guys suggest? I feel like I've just bought a fun toy that I don't really need. I've heard there's some other cool uses for it but I'm not sure that outweighs the money I could get back from returning it that I could use towards a rope and draws. But if it really is a device that has some awesome uses then I would definitely keep it.

Edited by Wllperegoy

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you weren't using it correctly and/or you were using it with a really fat rope. The gri gri 2 can be a crappy device when using cords that are 10 mil or larger. Hold the gri with your right hand, with your pointer finger hooked under the metal flange. To feed slack hold down the cam with your thumb and throw rope out with your left hand. Once you figure it out it's easier to feed slack with than a ATC. If you're using a rope thicker than 9.5-9.8 the gri gri 1 is the better device to have. If you're belaying someone who's dogging it's way better than a tube style device.

grigri.jpg

If you're ever going to start aid climbing a gri is essential, it is actually impossible to stay awake while supine on a portaledge in the afternoon sun on el cap. You can snooze and belay at the same time, not so with an ATC.

It's the best aid soloing device out there if you're dumb enough to get into that miserable pursuit.