Enchantments conditions

ARBrandon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon, the first snow started last Sunday above 7000ft. Last TR I've seen on WTA website. Been monitoring weather.gov point forecast since then at 7800ft by Upper Enchantments. Based on those forecasts this weekend there could be up to 1 ft of snow in Upper Enchantments. Nighttime predicted lows have rarely dipped below freezing though. Of course this is an extrapolation, so who knows for sure. I would expect most of Aasgard to be fine, maybe a little ice and snow in the upper parts. Bring a pair of microspikes to be sure :)

Went up there first weekend after permit season last year. What I encountered was about 1-3 feet of snow in upper enchantments, lakes freezing at night and thawing during the day. The snow was super firm and crunchy on the flat so travel was fast! Crust on slopes. There was ice the rocks and snow filling between boulders on the boulder field at colchuck. That was interesting. Aasgard went fine with microspikes and poles. Just enough snow to plunge step skier's right much of the way down, with the occasional buried rock moat to avoid. By the way, it was the most beautiful I've ever seen the enchantments, after visiting them at least 10 times, in all seasons, except deep winter. A few larches still had color and there was a full moon and clear skies!

I might be up there too this weekend! Good luck!

Edited by SemoreJugs