Goode Rainy Pass approach question

Rad

Actually, we're planning to backpack to Stehekin with the kids from Rainy Pass, but I figured Goode would get your attention.

Why not start West of Rainy Pass proper? Google maps shows a pullout on Hwy 20 that you could park, travel a few hundred yards x-country, and intersect the PCT. This would cut off almost 2 miles of trail. Surely I'm not the first person to think of this. Any reason not to do it? It would mean the difference between a 13 mile first day or an 11 mile first day.

Thx

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your plan is not a bad one, but keep in mind that it will be all uphill from Stehekin on the way back to Rainy Pass.

Thanks Tom. I will backpack down to Stehekin via Rainbow Lake w kids in 2 days, then I hike solo back up to RP in a single day to retrieve the car while my wife takes the ferry out w kids. So they only hike one way.

Why not start West of Rainy Pass Proper?

I am guessing you meant 'EAST' of Rainy Pass proper. The trail is not near Hwy20 anywhere WEST of Rainy.

If so, that is basically what everyone already does.

And not only is the parking area several miles east of Rainy pass, but even from this parking area, the PCT parallels Hwy just to the south of the road for an additional 1/2mile or so. You can park on the shoulder of Hwy20 to the east of the parking area/southbound PCT trailhead and save some walking, plus avoid needing a NW Forest pass.

Screen_Shot_2014-08-18_at_8_15_39_AM.png