Exfoliation Dome, Jacob’s Ladder

curtveld

No photos, just a quick beta blast update on this amazing route, from my recent visit with 'Jopa' Joe.

Access: Highway 530 through the Oso slide is completely clear for normal 2-way traffic. The 2060 and ‘bridge fork’ are bumpy but fine. After you cross the bridge toward Exfo, the first wash is pretty rough for a 2WD. Fortunately it only adds 10 minutes to walk from there.

Route: What an awesome line this is! Endless thanks to Mr. Perkins and his crew. Pitches 3-6 are significantly steeper than any other Dtown route I’ve been on and the climbing is very entertaining. Pro is excellent, all bolts are in good shape, though some nuts could use tightening. If you use aid on pitch 4, the free crux is the leftward slab moves on pitch 3, which I’d not hesitate to call 10c (vs. "10b" on the topo).

Being a mid-10 leader, was glad to have aiders for pitch 4. Be warned that some of the bolts are a bit beyond ‘bolt-ladder’ spacing. Be prepared to get up in that top step...and beyond.

The most puzzling thing was the lack of recent traffic on this spectacular route. From the needle debris on anchors, we appeared to have been one of the first parties of 2014.

If you haven’t done this one yet, put it on your list. You shouldn't have to wait in line!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As a local guidebook put it: "Darrington is one of the most under-rated rock climbing areas in Washington, but by all accounts it shouldn't be....Perhaps it is the weather, the moss and dirt, or else the fact that Index has become the place to be(and be seen)."