Oregon crevasse climbing

bedellympian

Hola internet folk, looking for a good glacier to practice some ice climbing technique during summer... specifically in Oregon.

Requirements, day-tripable hiking distance, steep and long ice walls... "I know a glacier way the f-out on some mountain with two foot wide crevasses that you might be able to squeeze ten feet of climbing out of" is not helpful. Preferably, "I know a glacier within 3 miles of a TH where you can TR 50ft+ vertical ice" but hell, its Oregon, I'll take what I can get.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i like this spot on white river glacier. literally half a mile from the top of palmer lift.

these were taken in september, so snow may still need to melt a bit. this is where the snowboarder was killed in the serac collapse last year, so be careful. the walls in this photo are around 80ft tall.

8120489082_e6c5bb00d7_o.jpg

little bit of water ice in there too!

8101106780_f937343296_o.jpg

eliot glacier is great too, just a longer hike at the moment since cloud cap road is still closed, not sure when its gonna open.

Edited by christophbenells