Belay goggles

carolyn

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What, pray tell, are "belay goggles"? I've been climbing for 19 years and I've never heard of such a thing. What need do they satisfy? Does this someone climb in an environment where eye protection is an issue? What are the hazards that necessitate eye protection? Wind? Water? Snow? Dust? Falling objects bigger than dust? If wind or dust, then I suppose ski goggles would work fine. I'm having trouble visualizing an environment in which someone would climb where goggles would be a necessity. Even when climbing alpine or water ice where a belayer faces a constant deluge of falling objects I've never found myself thinking "I could really use a pair of belay goggles right now." Some more context would be helpful.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=belay+glasses

I've used the CU belay glasses for a couple years now. They aren't perfect but they are better than the other ones I've tried like the Belāggles.

Can't say the CU glasses seem that durable but you'd have to treat them pretty poorly for that to be a problem. They appear to be the most popular model out at the crag.

And they definitely help the moderate neck pain that I get when I'm sport climbing a lot.

Edited by Wallstein

Thanks, Wallstein!

These are the last thing I ever thought I would look into.

After being hit head-on in a car accident this winter, I am trying to find ways to adapt to my injuries. Though it will be a long time before I am able to climb again, they could be helpful at one of my part time jobs - teaching people to belay and climb. In the long term, it's quite possible that without something like this personal climbing might not be an option...or at least not as as enjoyable due to extreme pain. Then, there is the safety issue....

I guess it's fair to say...."never say never", and be grateful for some of these dorky things that end up on the market. You never know when they may assist you in continuing to do things you love.

I've had some neck injuries...and I'm old...looking straight up at my leader gives me a bad neck ache.

I looked at all the variations. There are many people copying the original, some quite close. There is a metal version very close to the original at $80, my friend has them.

I wanted the best, and got them from the source. They are worth every penny if you gym climb, or climb a lot of vertical walls. The craftsmanship on these is amazing. I work with metal, and recognize quality.

I especially like the way these have no hinge. Hinges always break on glasses.

Doubt if I'd take them up multipitch...but my longer routes usually lean over.

What is your neck worth to you?

http://www.powernplayusa.com/