X38 accident

Rad

We arrived on the scene of an accident at the Gun Show today shortly after first responders. Some poor guy fell 35 feet and had multiple lower limb fractures. We offered help to the first responding team, but they had things well in hand. After about 90 minutes volunteer SAR arrived with a team of helpers and supplies. An hour after that the chopper hauled the subject out and presumably flew him off to Harborview. I hope he makes a full recovery.

I didn't ask the Sheriff's office deputy or the shell-shocked non-injured climbers how the accident happened. It just didn't seem like the right thing to do. The Sheriff's office lead said last year they brought a chopper in to pull out a woman who broke her hip. She was getting ready to lower off Endless Bliss and leaned back, but her partner had taken her off belay and she decked.

Freeway noise is substantial at the Gun Show. Please make a very clear plan with your partner BEFORE either one of you leaves the ground. And don't change it. This is one spot where a radio might be helpful. Or heck, pull out your cell phone and call your belayer - I've done it - reception is good and mis-communication can have terrible consequences.

STOP BEFORE YOU WEIGHT THE ROPE TO RAP/LOWER, CHECK TWICE, AND BE SAFE!

Even a short fall to the deck can mess you up.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic