Rainier: By end of September

zpm

B.L.U.F.

I want to summit Rainier. I don't have the money to pay for a guided tour.

Basically, I'm looking for a partner or a group that I could tag along with to head up to the top of that mountain I see keep seeing around here. I don't have any technical mountain climbing training, but I am in good shape, a fast learner, and I hear it's not all too technical anyways (aside from a few parts).

I understand that I might slow down some experienced climbers, but I don't think I'd be too much of a burden. I'd have to rent most of my equipment, and if someone was willing to head up with me I could cover the costs of anything they'd need to rent too. I'd provide transportation and pay for the gas to get out there, and cover any permits or reservations that are needed. I'd even buy you some lunch if you're lucky.

Since I found out I was moving out here for work, I told myself that I would climb Rainier. Once I got out hear, I found out that everyone says that but for some reason or another, they never get the chance. I want to do it before life/work gets in the way so when I have to move in a few years I won't regret never doing it.

I know a few guys who have just packed up some stuff and did it without any training or guide. I'd be a lot more comfortable going up with someone who has done it before and has some experience, though.

Like I said, I don't have the funds to drop $1,000 on an actual guided tour. So if you're willing to help a guy out, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I'd be interested in talking and seeing if we can make something work. I have summited Rainier via the classic route. The problem you're going to run into now is that it is late in the season and the best climbing conditions are past. Now you're getting into sloppy travel which can make it more dangerous. Feel free to email me though, and we can talk. Thanks

Now you're getting into sloppy travel which can make it more dangerous.

End of September is typically more boney than sloppy. Biggest problems include possible icy conditions, circuitous route finding, and exposed/loose rock. That said, I've enjoyed really fantastic conditions in mid September after a storm or two deposited snow which had consolidated into nice neve.

Edited by DPS

As far as "Standard Routes" go, I'd recommend climbing the Emmons-Winthrop Route rather than the Dissapointment Cleaver Route, especially this time of year and especially if it's your first time on the mountain. Although I've never climbed on the DC, the nature of the route is such that rockfall danger is a real concern and something that is avoided by a combination of speed and luck. The Emmons requires physical fitness and good routefinding ability due to the myriad crevasses on the route, but rockfall on route is a non-issue. The other issue on the DC is that most of the guiding that happens on the mountain is done on the DC, which means pushy guides bullying private parties out of their way to better serve clients.

I've only been on the E-W route once and I wouldn't feel comfortable without a team I knew and trusted, especially since the days are getting shorter, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

• 2 weeks later...