La Sprortiva Trango Extremes

dbconlin

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have them and they rockband.gif. Unimaginable french technique, light and my feet have not been cold in them yet. I probably would not use them for winter climbing in the Canadian Rockies, or Alaska, but for local ice they would be fine.

The down side is if your in deep snow for long periods of time, moisture can seep in because they are not one piece leather. Calves can get pumped on lower angle ice that you can't french technique on.

Edited by Highlander

I agree. They rockband.gif I bought a used pair this summer and have been using them for ice this winter. So far they have been warm enough for Utah Ice climbing. They perform well on ice and rock. They are probably not warm enough for really cold or long trips to the mountains. I have wide feet and had to get one of them stretched for the pinky toe. I guess my feed are kinda jacked up. Anyway, tasty now. I think they suit mid/low volume feet the best. They are a tad heavier than the new Trango Ice model. Otherwise they climb about the same.

Great boots.

My feet have never been cold in them (not that I've ever wore them anywhere super cold).

They fit into my silveretta 404'ski bindings.

My only issue was I wish they had made the sole a little more rockered. It would make them hike even better and wouldn't have given up anything for precision. These boots have won ice world cups (before everybody switched to hockey skates or wrestling shoes). If you climb in plastics right now and switch to the Trangos, you will climb at least one M grade harder or one half a WI grade harder right away (on your first climb of the morning) Don't tell anyone-- it will be our little secret.

I've also just got to try my Sportiva Ice Comps on a Hyalite ice trip. They climb mixed and ice better than the Trangos you are looking at but are not quite as warm and I would be hestitant to do much skiing in them for fear of breaking them.

Good luck with your purchase.