HR Monitor?

dave schultz

Thinking about adding a HR monitor to the list of shit that I carry around with me. The previous thread about new altimeter watches does not really address the HR monitor feature, so I thought I would start a new one.

I see two paths: (1) upgrade my current Casio Pathfinder (AMAZING watch, with altimeter) to a watch that also has an altimeter WITH a HR monitor OR (2) get a cheap, second HR monitor watch and wear both. The second option is pretty simple, just a cheap HR monitor; the first option is where I am looking for what others might be doing and their thoughts/opinions. I would not be opposed to getting the GPS versions nor is the price really of significant concern, though I am 99% sure I would still carry my normal Garmin GPS with me, even with a GPS feature on the watch (if/until I got comfortable enough with a GPS on my wrist to go without the full fledges backup).

Currently looking at the Suunto Ambit2 (all the varieties), the Suunto Vector, and the Garmin Fenix. Obviously the biggest differences are GPS vs no GPS. Another significant difference is batter life, only 50hrs with the GPS variety (with GPS enabled) vs more normal length battery life for the non-GPS variety. I would like something that I can take the data off of the watch and keep for future reference.

I don’t really have a typical use for it, it would be used for anything from long single push rock climbs, to fast ski tours/races, to slow backpacking trips, to overnight trail runs, to mutli-day ski tours and mountaineering objectives.

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used several HR monitors but the two I liked best are the garmin fr60 and the suunto tc4. Both are really nice and easy to use. They have no built in GPS but you can add arm mounted GPS units or foot pods to track distance. The fr60 is probably the easiest to use but my tc4 lasted longer.

I have used built in GPS watches like the garmin and the Nike + but I found that I didn't need the extra features. If I was to chose a GPS hr monitor I would go with the Nike+.

Eric

• 3 months later...
I'm thinking of upgrading my HR monitor and wondering what the latest greatest are? I don't need a GPS, just HR and foot pod to track mileage. My FR 60 often defaults to settings I don't want no matter how many times I set them to what I want. Which is pretty annoying... TIA
Beuller, Bueller???