waterproofing hardshells- recs

jesselillis

Looking to re-waterproof the outer layer of a GTX hardshell pant.

It's GTX so I don't actually get wet, but the layer above the membrane holding water can make for some cold, heavy pants.

I've seen recs for this brand: Granger's.

REI sells 4 of their products (1 spray, 3 washes):

-XT Proofer Waterproof Spray

-Performance Wash

-One Step Wash and Waterproof

-Performance Waterproofer.

Not sure which, or what combo might work best.

Any experience to share?

Or with other similar products? (NikWax?)

Thx

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always used the Nikwax Techwash followed by either Nikwax TX-Direct Spray-On or Wash-In treatment. I haven't noticed a real difference between the two.

I tend to think it's the garment that makes the different. I've had REI, Solstice, North Face, and Arc'tyrex shells. REI and Solstice had their own brand of membrane and leaked no matter what I did. North Face and Arc'tyrex both have GTX and have held up very well. I've heard good things about Lowe Alpine's line...

Mike

I use the granger's kit with the wash and xt:

http://www.rei.com/product/798680/grangers-outerwear-care-kit

It work well. I usually wear a softshell top and bottom with no membrane and have never regretted it. One kit does 6-10 garments though you may want extra waterproofing spray. I usually end up doing pants, nano puff and jacket 1-2 times a winter as they smell pretty bad and start to wet out easier after multiple trips.

The step where you apply the spray to a damp garment and then set the waterproofing in the drier is key but be careful with welded seam garments as heat is hard on the seams.

The wash is important as dirt and grime contributes to the fabric wetting out ... standard detergents work by wicking water into the fabric so avoid them.

I'm not a fan of the nikwax waterproofing sprays though the tech wash is fine. The sprays seem to wear out quicker and smell awful.

McNett makes a good spray too.

x2 on the Revivex. And so you don't sound like a tool when you go into the gear shop to buy it, you want to re-treat the DWR (durable water repellent) finish on your pants, not "re-waterproof" the outer layer. You clearly understand the design, function, and construction of your pants, so no reason to confuse others.

Other tips:

1. wash your pants first with a tech wash non-detergent soap. Dirty pants don't stay as dry as clean pants.

2. when you put your pants in the dryer after washing with Revivex, turn them inside out so the treatment doesn't rub off on the dryer.

3. run a warm (not hot!) iron over your pants to melt off the small mini fuzzy abraded threads that act as water magnets.

thanks fromage (name well chosen my friend, how often i regret my own selection...). i hate sounding like a tool. most of the time. bizarrely sometimes i don't. i'm not sure what drives those moments. perhaps toxoplasmosis. in any case, now i'm well equipped with the vernacular to come across as a tool or not, as i choose.

tips also much appreciated.