Sahale Question

stevenkalinowsk

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question for you... I am headed up to climb Sahale Peak from Sahale Arm this weekend, and am wondering whether to take crampons along or not (I don't have a lightweight pair that I can put on my 'hiking' boots).

My wife and and I are moderately experienced climbers with fairly typical attitudes regarding safety.

Thank you.

Steven

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just up there this past weekend, and another weekend three weeks before that. Assuming you are climbing mid morning and you don't hit a cold spell, you won't need the crampons, IMHO (obviously you will need an axe though). There is a well worn trail and the snow is soft enough to kick steps. You've only got about 800 feet of snow (moderate angle) and then it gives way to scree and scrambling for the rest. You won't need to rope up for the glacier either, but depending on your comfort, you might want a rope and a bit of pro for the last 40 feet (low 5th).

[This message has been edited by summitseeker (edited 09-14-2001).]

Thanks for the advice. I ended up bringing crampons and using them on the way up, but not on the way down. In addition, we roped up for the upper part of the glacier on the way up. On the way down, we didn't.

I might add that I found the single rap sling on the summit to be pretty skimpy. I usually carry some extra webbing - just in case - but didn't bring it because I figured this popular peak would have a big nest of nylon on top. It didn't.