[TR] Cody Classics - 1/7/2013

keenwesh

Trip: Cody Classics -

Date: 1/7/2013

Trip Report:

I'm far too tired to write up much more than a photo dump, but here's the general gist of it.

4 days of climbing with Martin in the awesome South Fork. Started it off with a run up Broken Hearts. With the full sun screws were basically worthless, but the hero ice made for really fun roped soloing. My Only Valentine was good to go, but as I headed up the cone an ice dam broke up above and quadrupled the flow of water, making the lead much less appealing. We descended and planned to climb on the Other side of the valley for the next day.

Martin led the first pitch of high on boulder, and I took the sharp end for Moonrise. The ice was really hard and brittle, necessitating many swings for each stick. Needless to say, I was super stoked when I made it to the belay. Sharing the drainage with us were Eric and Lucy, of bus trip fame. Really nice people and they said they'd send me some shots of me leading moonrise. Rad. After doing the second brittle pitch of moonrise we rapped off and hoofed it over to mean green to sprint up the first 2 pitches. Brittle hard ice left my arms exhausted. On the hike out we spotted View to Thrill and Dressed to Kill looking fat. South facing ice high enough to stay solid enticed us for the next day.

A long hike with some shwacking led us to the base. While the top of both climbs were fat, neither piller touched down. Super lame. Reverse bushwhack to Too Cold to Fire salvaged the day. 50 degree temps were a cause for concern.

The Moratorium was scrapped for the last day because of the utter lack of ice on the first pitch. Instead we went up Schoolhouse Creek. First pitch was fun plastic goodness. Second was a chandeliered wet nightmare. I rapped out of the cave behind on the previous parties abalakov and Bozeman was reached before the sky went completely black.

DSC03151.jpg

DSC031551.jpg

DSC03158.jpg

DSC03159.jpg

DSC03163.JPG

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03166.jpg

DSC03182.jpg

DSC03186.jpg

IMG_6275.JPG

DSC03188.JPG

DSC03207.jpg

DSC03216.JPG

A question for the mods: Why do half my pictures not upload because the filesize is "too big"? All are shot from the same camera with the same resolution settings...

Approach Notes:

Over the cacti and up the hills

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic