• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Kidd

Ideas for Float Plane Access Routes

I just received a nice gift of a credit with Harbour Air out of Vancouver. Ideas for float plane (no skis for the plane, I think) accessible interesting WI areas or Cool alpine routes? I'd prefer to use it this winter, or spring at the latest.

Thanks!

Matt- Talk to the outfit. Keep in mind that since most of the cool alpine lakes are buried under a thick blanket of snow and ice, not having ski-plane capabilities can be a show stopper. And in my experience, float-plane pilots are loath to attempt landing amongst floating ice.

Floatplanes can land on Thomas Lake, Widgeon Lake, Tretheway Lake, Phantom Lake, etc. Take advantage of the good wx and get out now, never mind the winter or spring (when as noted, most lakes will be frozen and you'll be limited to landing on the sea)

It has certainly crossed my mind, but may not be able to get away. Owning a business is a double edged sword... That said, where would you go if you were going now for full value alpine?

Right now, this week? With a floatplane?

I've always wanted to check out the Tzoonie area. Granite makes it look like a smaller version of the Chehalis. Floatplanable lakes in there for sure. That's where I'd go.

I reckon Dru hit it. Or think about one of the lakes high in behind Powell River if you're looking for 'rambling' country.

I presume you need to fly out of a Harbour Air base. If that included Campbell River, you could fly to Ghost lake and spend the weekend in the Waddington Range. Or fly to the lake east of Queen Bess and do the SE Buttress... Or fly to Lorna Lake and peak-bag your way back to Gold Bridge...

Man, makes me 'pine for the old days' when floatplanes were THE way to get into remote locations. Took way more planning and careful packing than is required in today's helicopter access world!

Have fun, you lucky devil!

Edited by Don_Serl