• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Topoftheworld

Glissade down Mt Adams?

I'm looking to climb Mt Adams this weekend. Has anyone been up there recently (last week or so) ? Is there still enough snow to glissade down from false summit to lunch counter? Do you need crampons to go up to the summit or is there enough rock exposed? Any add'l input would be great.

Don't do it! My buddy got really messed up glissading that. That was late season with lots of snice. Might be different in some conditions.

climbed sunday. crampons used. glissaded all the way from false summit to lunch counter. glissade chute about 4 feet deep at the beginning.

Climbed on Saturday. Yaktrax worked fine for me to the summit, YMMV. Pay attention to the glissade chutes on your way up. The chute on climbers left from lunch counter to the false summit had some exposed rock about halfway. Had no trouble with a chute to the right, but that could have changed.

Climbed on Saturday. Yaktrax worked fine for me to the summit, YMMV. Pay attention to the glissade chutes on your way up. The chute on climbers left from lunch counter to the false summit had some exposed rock about halfway. Had no trouble with a chute to the right, but that could have changed.

WillS, do you thinkn it's doable w/o crampons? The overnight low looks to be mid 40s this weekend above 10k altitude.

Is it safe to say that the skiing is pretty much toast too? I am looking to get some August turns in but don't want to lug my gear up there just to ski on mank. Thanks!

WillS, do you thinkn it's doable w/o crampons? The overnight low looks to be mid 40s this weekend above 10k altitude.

Well, I did it without crampons and didn't feel sketched. Similar conditions I'd guess. I was happy to have the yaktrax though, there's a couple places I crossed water ice that would have been sketch in just boots. A bit of traction on the icy sun cup steps was nice too. We took off from Cold Springs at about 4:30AM, were at the top by 9:50, back at the car at 1:45PM. It may have been do-able with just boots later on softer snow, but the trax are small and light enough, why not.

As for skiing, if you're diehard there could have been some decent afternoon turns in the lower bowls. I wouldn't bother carrying past lunch counter though, unless you like 2-3 ft sun cups.

Yo meego. right now its all closed and shiz... the fire on the west side of the mountain. I think there are still vehicles 'stuck' at the trailhead--not safe for them to drive down due to fire hazard. entrance to north sister 4 vehicles got torched as well..no bueno. both of them probably done for from traditional routes until further notice (aka winter)