[TR] Chikamin Peak - south, from PCT 8/11/2012

wolffie

Trip: Chikamin Peak - south, from PCT

Date: 8/11/2012

Trip Report:

A lifetime ambition to watch the Perseid meteor showers from a mountaintop realized purely by accident.

Bivouacked on Chikamin's NW 6925' summit with Al the corgi, perfectly positioned but oblivious to the opportunity, when 2 improbable passersby mentioned the meteor shower.

Awakened by spectacular orange crescent moonrise with Jupiter at 1:30 AM, I kept watch until 3 AM. They really do radiate from a quite small spot in the sky, between Perseus and Cassiopeia. Ordinary meteors catch your attention ("Hey, guys, you're goin' the wrong way!"). Many left plasma trails. The late crescent moon (unfortunately close to Perseus) did not brighten the sky catastrophically. A meteor every minute or three, and we saw only the bright ones. Dark enough to see the Andromeda galaxy with the naked eye. You need mountaintop, no moon, clear weather, right date.

I recommend: if you don't know your way around the night sky, figure it out. Not difficult, way cool.

The route up the SW slope of Chikamin is not obvious from the PCT. It diagonals up the slope, but disappears around a corner into a gully. I could not spot the route visually, and went by memory. When there's snow, you'll definitely want ax and maybe crampons.

Al claims the 1st failure on Chikamin by a Pembroke Welsh corgi. We tried the rock on the S, bad idea. We went up the steep snow finger on the N to the notch, ice ax and crampons, but Al kept getting his feet tangled in his belay leash. Bad idea. No place for a dog, not recommended. It was just my ego.

Retreated in good order, but remember that descent is much more difficult for a dog. The runout was only sort-of-OK.

Even on the S approach scramble, you have to be extremely careful with a dog. They are stupid about rockfall. You want nobody below you. Al, in this case, dislodged almost none. A bigger dog would be more dangerous IMO.

Gear Notes:

ice ax, crampons

dog chest harness with quick-draw belay leash

Outward Hound collapsible dog bowl

Chillybuddy dog cooling vest (it works)

El Cheapo Camp K9 sleeping bag

Pawz emergency dog booties

Freeze-dried raw meat dog food

Approach Notes:

PCT from I-90. Enough water. Juvenile martens.

It's a Katwalk, you dummy:

ChikP_007.JPG

Right foreground is Alaska Mt. Center is Huckleberry. Shark fin is Chikamin. Broad center skyline is our 6926 bivvy:ChikP_014.JPG

Huckleberry & Chikamin from Alaska Mt on PCT:

ChikP_023.JPG

Al claims 1st failed ascent by a corgi on Chikamin Peak; don't try this at home, it was a bad idea:

ChikP_037txt_copy.jpg

ChikP_034.JPG

You can see our footsteps up the steep snow finger. It was a mistake:

ChikP_039.JPG

A corgi will slip neatly out of this chest harness in a vertical hang; not OK for high log crossings. On steep snow, the dog gets its feet tangled in the belay rope. Poor technique.

ChikP_042.JPG

ChikP_044.JPG

Snoqualmie sunset:

ChikP_059.JPG

Sunset:

ChikP_057.JPG

Sunrise:

ChikP_061.JPG

Sunset:

ChikP_056.JPG

Sunrise:

ChikP_060.JPG

Solitude and Company:

ChikP_064.JPG

Chikamin Gap on PCT:

ChikP_089.JPG

Edited by wolffie

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen objectionable corgis, all rescues.

Ours are almost entirely silent. Al didn't bark at the Blue Grouse chicks, or the marmots, or the deer outside the tent. S'pozed to be a herding dog, but he seems to have low prey drive. Passed his Porcupine Test (good dog!). Hiked 9 days around Glacier Peak, and his one single sharp bark -- into the silent darkness outside of camp -- really got my attention.

Al will occasionally freak and attack another larger dog with no warning or provocation, so I always have a quick-draw leash, and we practice. You have to know your animal and be responsible, esp. around horses.

I know many people don't like dogs -- I used to be one of them -- and they have their reasons, presumably good ones.

• 4 weeks later...