[TR] Eldorado - East Ridge 7/2/2012

KaskadskyjKozak

Trip: Eldorado - East Ridge

Date: 7/2/2012

Trip Report:

The weekend weather has not be cooperating, so I rounded up some beginners for a run up Eldorado C2C with a narrow weather window on Monday.

Morning mists soon yielded blue skies and great slogging up the upper basin slopes and the Eldorado glacier. Judas Priest and Hendrix made the going much more enjoyable.

At the rock island at the nose of the ridge, however, we noticed clouds and weather coming in. We tried to beat them to the top in time for summit views, but one party member got bad leg cramps. He had to sit out the final 700 feet while the rest of us postholed up soft snow with a breakable crust 8 inches down. We then enjoyed the current spicy conditions on the arête finish: just below the top, there is a half broken cornice that you must climb below and around to finish. With the soft snow it was a bit tricky to avoid blowing out sideways.

Cascade Pass in the morning:

P1010679.JPG

J-berg looms above the mists:

P1010683.JPG

Eldo:

P1010687.JPG

Torment, Boston, Sahale:

P10106841.JPG

Our views before the weather closed them:

P1010695.JPG

Summit views!!!

P10106991.JPG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to get it done! Sorry you didn't get to enjoy the awesome view from the top. I don't feel so bad about my socked in summit on Cashmere Sunday. Did it start to clear up for you on the way out as well?

It was clear below about 7200 feet or so. Rain came in at dusk and later for the drive home.