Climb Liberty Bell with John Roskelley

cdphilips

The Washington Wildlife and Recreation Coalition (Seattle, WA) is having its annual Campaign Kick Off and Silent Auction next Wednesday, May 2nd. One of the featured items at this year's auction is a guided climb of Liberty Bell with John Roskelley and his son, Jess Roskelley. I'm sure many of you already know who John Roskelley is. But for those of you who don't - John was a part of the first American team to successfully summit K2 and has also notched numerous first ascents throughout India, Nepal and Pakistan. John and his son Jess (who is also an experienced climber) hail from Spokane, WA.

Climbing Liberty Bell with John and Jess is a once in a life time opportunity to partner up and shoot-the-shit with a NW climbing legend. And because the climb isn't difficult - this is something that everyone can experience. Awesome, right? If you are interested, please consider bidding on this item! You can place online bids at http://www.32auctions.com/organizations/528/auctions/3719/auction_items/70312.

More details on the climb: You’ll travel either by way of the Becky Route (southwest face, II,5.6) or via the Northwest Face (II+, 5.8), a superb climb of ramps and a dihedral leading to the summit. This trip will be planned on a day in the first two weeks of August or first two weeks in September when the North Cascades are typically basking in brilliant sunshine. An afternoon of rock climbing 101 the day before is included to build your confidence and for your safety.

The minimum bid for the climb is $400, with everything included.

More details on the online auction: You do NOT have to be in attendance on our May 2nd Auction to win an item. Simply begin by placing a bid online (need to create an account first, which takes no time). When the online auction closes on May 1st at 5pm, you may get in touch with staff to set a proxy bid for the climb at any amount you desire. Conversely, you are welcome to come to our auction and bid on the item in person! More details on on the website.

I would also encourage you to check out the other items. There are some gems! (week in Hawaii, 2 nights at the Mazama Country Inn, Stevens Tickets, Mountaineers Family Package and more).

A little more about Washington Wildlife and Recreation Coalition: WWRC works to protect and restore Washington's local and state parks, wildlife areas, trails, recreation sites and working farms. We do this by promoting and advocating for the Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program (WWRP) - the most significant conservation program in our state’s history - and the Land and Water Conservation Fund, the national grant counterpart. To date, $665 million in competitive WWRP grants have been awarded to cities, counties, state agencies and land trusts for over 1,000 state and local parks, trails, farms, shorelines and wildlife habitat encompassing 350,000 acres across the state. Local and federal matching funds bring the total to well over $1 billion. For more information, visit www.wildliferecreation.org.

Thank you for your interest and get after that climb!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot, I've climbed Liberty Bell by four different routes and met Jess on Denali, but I would totally fork out the dough to climb with John if I could still climb. He was my hero when I first started climbing.

My father traveled a lot for his job. He was in some city and went into a bookstore to buy a book for his flight home. According to my dad, "This climber was signing his book so I picked you up a signed copy." It was John Roskelly, my dad had no idea he was my hero.

Thank you everyone for your interest. The trip should be an amazing experience. It is true that we have a lot to thank John for, contributing his time to benefit our work at WWRC.

One quick reminder for anyone who has their eyes on this item: Online bidding for this item closes tomorrow night (May 1st) at 5 pm. Here is the site one more time: http://www.32auctions.com/organizations/528/auctions/3719/auction_items/70312.

After 5 pm on the 1st, the Climb will still be up for bidding at our May 2nd Event. If you do not intend to attend that event, I would HIGHLY recommend setting a proxy bid to an amount to wish to pay, as the climb will most likely receive a few bids at the event. You can do that quickly by sending an email - with your proxy bid amount - to cameron@wildliferecreation.org.

This climb is definitely receiving a lot of interest, yet no one has bid on it just yet. I would get yourself in the mix now and you just might end up with it!

Happy climbing!