Grivel Horn on X-Monster?

Jon H

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave it to NJ to create optimal environmental conditions for the birth of the Grivel Monster Horn. :lmao: Little horn is born..... :eveeel:

Sorry, just kidding.

I seriously doubt that it would ever fit even with a dedicated custom conversion reality show. It was made to convert standard aluminum oval shafted Grivel tools into good leashless rigs, like the Monsters. Have the Horns on Matrix lights and love them.

Thanks for weighing in everyone. I've never had a chance to climb on the X-monsters before and the pinky hook looks a bit small for support, at least compared to the Cobra, Nomic, Quantum Techs, etc.

Can anyone comment on the comfort and finger protection (against bashing) offered by the X-monsters?

I've climbed on monsters a fair bit - I didn't notice a problem.

Oh, I'm not saying there's a problem. I just observed that the pommel on the X-monster is quite small compared to Cobras, Nomics, Quarks, etc so I was curious if anyone felt it was small enough to be a disadvantage on vertical ice in terms of less pinky support.

What happened to your ergos?

Nothing happened. Still got 'em and I intend on keeping them. But I definitely want something a bit less radical for low angle ice (gullies on Mt. Washington, etc), alpine excursions, or as a spare pair to lend out, etc.

I found a pretty good deal from a buddy of mine ($170ish for both) on a set of X-monsters and just want to do my homework before I have him ship them over to me.

While I would prefer my 2nd pair to be Nomics (so the picks match my Ergos) or Cobras (best all around ice/alpine tool on the planet, IMO) they would both cost me waaaay more than double what these X-monsters would cost. And since I have a bunch of other expenses coming up anyway, I'm happy to save the cash.

BTW, did you wind up getting those Nomics the other week?

Edited by Jon H