tnf assault 2: any users out there?

its MR.gumby 2u

for the last 10 years or so i've been doing the bivy bag + siltarp(summer) or betamid/megamid scene, but it seems i always get dumped on by the weather. especially after my last three trips with mixed sleet, snow, rain in spring and rain + bugs the rest of the summer for about 19 days out of about 3 weeks, i find myself longing for the comfort of a double-wall tent. my old nf mountain 24(?) is still servicible, but a real pig to carry. my other tents have been run into the ground long ago.

i picked up a nemo obi1 for 3-season use, and on my last trip it worked well enough at slightly less weight than my bivy+tarp. now i'm looking for a new winter/mountaineering tent. i don't need to rehash the singlewall/ doublewall pro's & con's debate, or need info on biblers or integral designs, etc. and i know i can shave 2 or maybe even 3 pounds off my old nf mountain with some of the new double-walls. however, the stats on the nf assault 2 look pretty impressive on paper: low weight, "drywall" "technology", includes detachable vestibule, & at a relatively reasonable price. i used to have a single-wall tent about 20 - 25 years ago which was usually wetter inside than out, due to condensation. i don't expect miracles, but i was wondering if the assault 2 might actually have "dry walls", relatively speaking. the problem is that i've only been able to find about 3 user reviews. 1 said they hadn't had any major condensation issues, another said it was weather tight, and another said the listed weight was correct. encouraging, but not enough to base a decision on.

if anyone has had any exprience with it, i'd be real happy if they could weigh in the pro' & con's.

and on another but related topic, i've seen reviews re: the bd first light which seem polarized between saying it's drum tight or you might as well sleep in the rain. is this an old version/new version issue?

and while we're at it, any rab summit "shelter" users out there?

any and all input will be welcome. thanks in advance, phil

Edited by its MR.gumby 2u

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is my review on MP and the tent does have a waterproof breathable membrane (got an email from the company to clarify what drywall was as I was told a WB or a DWR). You still need to ventilate it though. It does have taped seams though too which is nice and so far waterproof.

If you are near Salem,Portland you can check mine out.

I am a fan of Hilleberg tents. I have a Jannu, it weighs about a pound more then my Assault 2, but completely worth IMO for a bomber double wall tent. Easy to pitch, i haven't had any condensation problems, and it vents really well. The only downside is the price. (If you talk to the US HQ in Redmond, WA sometimes they have floor models on sale).

Edited by Dave7

• 1 month later...

i've been using an assault 2 since the beginning of summer and have slept in conditions ranging from hot and dry to super saturated cold air and strong winds. in the past i've always used a bd firstlight but decided to try something different this time.

condensation does its thing just like any other single wall tent. i find the condensation to be equivalent to a bd firstlight (as in if the air is saturated, you're going to get condensation on the inside of the tent). one thing that i have appreciated about the assault is having guyout points on the sides of the tent. when used on a small ledge these don't help much, but when pitched on a bigger platform, the guyout points adds substantial room inside the tent and much stability in the wind. the price of the assault surprised me, so when i bought it i expected to open the package to unveil a piece of junk. not true. the fact that it includes a vestibule is a sweet deal.

in the end however, i feel like i could make argument for the firstlight as well. i have been extremely happy with both tents (assault and new and old firstlight) knowing full well that i was going to have to deal with condensation at some point.

Edited by toddtsuyoshi

i've been using an assault 2 since the beginning of summer and have slept in conditions ranging from hot and dry to super saturated cold air and strong winds. in the past i've always used a bd firstlight but decided to try something different this time.

condensation does its thing just like any other single wall tent. i find the condensation to be equivalent to a bd firstlight (as in if the air is saturated, you're going to get condensation on the inside of the tent). one thing that i have appreciated about the assault is having guyout points on the sides of the tent. when used on a small ledge these don't help much, but when pitched on a bigger platform, the guyout points adds substantial room inside the tent and much stability in the wind. the price of the assault surprised me, so when i bought it i expected to open the package to unveil a piece of junk. not true. the fact that it includes a vestibule is a sweet deal.

in the end however, i feel like i could make argument for the firstlight as well. i have been extremely happy with both tents (assault and new and old firstlight) knowing full well that i was going to have to deal with condensation at some point.

pretty much the same with my assault 2, I have to keep the door cracked to stop condensation. I'm only 5'8" so it fits me but not my over six foot friends. It's a great deal for what you get.

you axed if anyone uses a rab summit shelter.

i use the rab summit mountain (the bigger of the two 'bivis'). The attached vestibule is fine but would be a liability/rip away in bad weather. Condensation can be bad if in a cloud/low wind.. but can actually be pretty low even if it is wet out so long as there is a good wind. can be guyed out quite bomber, totally cuts the wind and is silent when done well--ie can be firm and no flapping/noise other than the wind itself, no deformation in 60mph winds. still wish it had a rear 'port' or a vent of some sort. I leave the door vented if conditions permit. Slept in it with a 6ft buddy we were head to toe (im 5'8"), works well with wife (same height), two 6 footers would be quite tight. bags against the walls no matter your size (unless midget)

instructions printed on one of the pockets in the tent state: "familiarise yourself with instructions so you do not deploy tent in anger" or something like that. haha.

if you look thru my post history ive made some longer comments on it, since, there is about squat out there review wise for the tent.