Drytool Training at the Gym - Suggestions

Julian

So in my current living situation I lack even a rock climbing gym at which to work out, let alone bust out the tools on. What I do have access to is my university's ghetto craphole of a gym with mismatched, rusty hand-me-down equipment that no one cares about, and so I think I can get away with bringing my tools in with me when it's not too busy and using the pull-up bars if nothing else. I was wondering if people have ideas and suggestions for things that can be done. We have a long pull-up bar and also a cable crossover station with a big, study top bar. I was thinking about slinging them with webbing, then clipping biners to the webbing for the axes to hook on. There's also the potential to string some etriers from the pull-up bar to a station that's built into the wall and create a sort of horizontal ladder. Anyone have good experience creating a little workout circuit with some basic gear such as that and a pull-up station? The other thing I'm wondering about is damage: I figure that the sling/biner setup (which a friend suggested to me) will reduce grumbling about the axe damaging the pull-up bar, but will the axe or the biners wear on each other?

I'm not looking to do anything too fancy: figure-4s, staggered pull-ups, etc.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know your setup in terms of outside space but I created a rather simple overhanging drytool wall that I lean against a tree and climb up from the inside (the wall forms a triangle with the tree). I just nailed some two by fours on the inside and it makes for a great circuit workout.

My guess is that, because you are in university you don't have this option (I feel for you- I'm in grad school).

So, you might just have to slum it up until better options come around. Maybe not much help. Good luck all the same.

Yeah my problem is I live in an apartment complex and don't really have the ability or space to build anything. I've been trying to convince one of my colleagues to turn his garage into a man-cave, but to no avail so far. Also with regards to the university, I'm actually a professor there so I figure I can probably get away with more (like drytooling in the weight room) than I might if I were a student.