Lowa boots

Laughingman

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been climbing in Lowa Mountain Experts for a couple of years now, and I find them to be "perfect" for mixed mountaineering in the Northwest. My son has replaced his Trangos with a warmer boot, and considers them too light (ie cold) for the larger snowy peaks, and certainly not for winter conditions. The Lowas are insulated, which gives them a wide range of usefulness. They are quite a bit less burly than the LS Nepal Evo Gtx, which means they are more agile and suited to rocky routes and long approaches. On major peaks such as Ranier and Shasta, I prefer my plastic boots because they can better handle extreme cold and extended days on wet snow.

Edited by robertjoy

i can't say enough about mtn experts! probably would like to get some plastics for rainier and maybe winter in general but i've found the mnt experts to do for me down to around 10 degrees with a heavy wool sock and keep moving. Your metabolism and body heat may vary.

While robertjoy said the boots are not as burly as Nepal Evo, sure, they are plenty burly for me going into 3rd season with them and having done perhaps 300 miles? lots and lots of scree surfing and no blown seams. a bit of the rand is slowly coming up and some shoeglue is fixing it fine.

i really love the boots and use them on long approaches just fine. i am considering buying a 2nd pair through a friend with a pro-deal just to have them when pair one gives up the ghost. additionally unlike almost all other boots that i switch the insole out on, I've left their stock on in, not because it is superior but just it seems to work and my flat feet don't complain so why change it.

The rest of what Robertjoy said above is true (about their agility and versatility for temperature ranges)

• 2 weeks later...

If the Lowa's truly fit your particular feet properly, the Mountain Expert's will accomplish what your stated aims are (and likely much more). I liked them enough to seriously consider them (but the Lowa's were not a proper fitting boot for my feet). I ended up with the Scarpa Triolet Pros to fit my foot shape.

(first post here on CC)

I've used Lowa Mountain Experts on 4-5 trips this year. They give me blisters on the inside of my heels. Haven't decided if I'm going to return them to REI and get something else or spend the winter experimenting with heel cups, different lacing or taping options.

I went and tried out the boots, they fit me well (I have narrow heels). The boots have a much better fit then the La Sportiva trangos i own. They appear to be stiff enough for alpine ice but still walk fairly well.

Lowa boots appear to be fairly narrow, does this hold true for the entire climbing boot line ( Lowa Vertical, Silberhorn etc)?

Does anybody know of boot maker that makes Narrow boots outside of Lowa and La Sportiva?