[TR] Cashmere Mountain 8-21-2011 - Windy Pass 8/26/2011

Devin27

Trip: Cashmere Mountain 8-21-2011 - Windy Pass

Date: 8/26/2011

Trip Report:

This past weekend we day climbed Cashmere Mountain in the Enchantment Area. We will be back in the core Enchantments in Larch season, but this was a good warm up and taste of things to come.

Left Seattle at 4am and were heading up the Eightmile lake trail at 7am. The trail to eightmile lake was relatively flat, which meant we had wasted 3 or so miles gaining only about 1000 ft. The trail up to Caroline and Little Caroline lakes was dry, hot and buggy, bring lots of water. We got eaten alive as we stopped for water at Caroline Lake and horseflies followed and conitnued to attack everytime we stopped. With the bugs driving us along, we made good time to Windy Pass. We had read about the climbers path leading directly up the ridge, but decided to just stick with the trail to avoid tedious bushwhacking.

From Windy pass, it was an easy trail up to the summit block of Cashmere. Once on rocks, we traversed around to the climbers left until we crossed over the North ridge. There we found the easy class 3 gully to the summit. We had to cross 3 small snow fields on the traverse, but they had nice steps kicked in. They have a interesting run out that I wouldn't want to fall down without an axe so I used mine, but you could get by without it.

At the summit, we discovered there was a recent hatching of flying ants and the summit was literally covered in thousands of them. I stayed only long enough for a photo and to discover the summit register was gone. The PVC pipe was there, but broken open and there was no log at all.

On the decent we decided to follow the climbers trail down the ridge on the direct route to the lakes. This trail disappears half way down the ridge. At this point we decided to try and take the path of least resistance to rejoin the trail to the West. This turned out to no be such a good plan, as we ended up in waist deep field of flowers and then in a marsh. I think we could, and maybe should, have followed the ridge all the way down to the lake. Hopefully someone familiar with this decent can add more.

The hike out was long and buggy, but not too hot with the setting sun. Back at the trailhead by 7pm for brauts and beer in Leavenworth.

Leave Seattle 4:30am

Trailhead 7:00am

Eight Mile Lake 8:10am

Windy Pass 11:00am

Summit 1:20pm

Cars- 7:00pm

Car to Car- 12 hours

17.6 Miles round Trip

5600 ft Elevation

Photos!!!

mg_5070.JPG

Eightmile Lake and out first battle with the bugs

mg_5074.JPG

Up the dry trail to Caroline lake

mg_5092.JPG

The wildflower are out in full force

mg_5080.JPG

Robin hiking down to Caroline lake

mg_5086.JPG

First views of the summit of Cashmere

mg_5098.JPG

Danika and Robin taking a break at Windy pass

mg_5094.JPG

Aubrey at Windy Pass

mg_5082.JPG

More flowers

mg_5104.JPG

Heading along the ridge

mg_5117.JPG

mg_5121.JPG

mg_5110.JPG

Taking a break to enjoy the view of Rainier

mg_5120.JPG

Crossing the snow fields below the summit block

mg_5128.JPG

Class 3 gully on the far side of the north ridge

mg_5183.JPG

Group summit shot

mg_5196.JPG

Me and Danika at the summit

mg_5127.JPG

Glacier Peak in the distance, next time maybe

mg_5136.JPG

Aubrey at the summit

mg_5188.JPG

Me on the summit, being attacked by flying ants

mg_5213.JPG

Our ridge decent

mg_5217.JPG

Heading through the meadows on our misguided decent

mg_5220.JPG

Sorry flowers

mg_5222.JPG

Did give me the best flower shots of the trip though

mg_5214.JPG

More wildflowers

mg_5242.JPG

Long and tiring decent

Gear Notes:

Ice axe (used for 2 minutes across snow field), Mountaineering boots (Carried, but never used, Day hikers are fine)

BUG SPRAY(Used all that we had and it wasnt enough!!!!)

Approach Notes:

Trail is clear and easy all the way to the summit area. 3 small snow patches near the base of the summit, but easy to cross and will likely be gone soon.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed Cashmere on last Thursday Sept. 1st, and camped at Little Lake Caroline, and can truly attest to the ferocity and numbers of the mozzies at the lake level at least. I raced up the peak so fast from my camp that I didn't really encounter much in the way of bugs from 6300' on up. But back at camp I broke down quickly and hurried down to the car in an effort to avoid them at all costs.

For what it's worth, the Eight Mile Road was as horribly washboardy as most any road I can recall in forty years of climbing in the Cascades and elsewhere in North America. And, I have a great vehicle for driving such roads. A real teeth rattler! 10mph at the absolute max, a little faster on the way down. Thankfully it's only 3 or so miles to the Eight Mile Lake Trailhead.