Wet weather Exit 32/38

drewboy

So i know that Exit32 climbing stays dry in the rain, are there any other venue's nearby that aren't too affected by seepage or run off? How does the Nevermind wall cope? It's just im new to the area and would like to go somewhere other than Exit 32 if i can before i leave.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So i know that Exit32 climbing stays dry in the rain, are there any other venue's nearby that aren't too affected by seepage or run off? How does the Nevermind wall cope? It's just im new to the area and would like to go somewhere other than Exit 32 if i can before i leave.

What difficulty are you seeking?

11's and 12's...

X38 has some crags that dry fast. All of the following will be wet when it is actively raining.

The Gun Show has three high quality 11s that dry fast and don't seep (from what I've seen). They are 11d, 11c, and 11a/b. The 11d (thin moves on a short, off-vertical face) is 2 lines right of the Endless Bliss slab. The 11c (bouldery over a bulge into a corner and then jugs overhang) and 11a/b (decent holds on slightly overhanging wall) are next to each other down to the right. All three have excellent rock. There is a 10c (soft) ramp - go straight up after 12feet into the 11c. Just right is an independant line (Tea Time) that is nice. The 11d and a/b are pretty short. Tea Time is not in a guide.

Nevermind will seep after hard rains, but after the mild mist we've had I'd bet most of the lines are good to go. From left to right I think the given ratings are 11d, 11c, 11a, 12a/b, 11b, 11d, 10c, 11c, 10a, 10d, 10d, 11a, 11c, 10d, 9, 12a, 12b. All in the guide. I'm not a fan of the shattered rock here, but some climbs are really good.

Then the Shangri-La crag mentioned in another thread has several lines that dry fast and are a bit longer. There is a 30m 11 on great rock that is a bit reachy (11+ for shorter folks?)and hard to onsight, but the cruxes are well protected. An 11+ just right of it has a bouldery crux off the ground that sometimes can be slow to dry, but with a stick clip one can bypass the wet spot and do the other 25m at 11-/11. There is a 12 (b?) on a continuously overhanging wall that stays dry and is fantastic (I'm biased). The 11- arete right ogf Guillotine is great and dries fast.

There is a short, powerful bouldery 11c in the cave just before the Block of Doom at X38 Far Side (see topos for this feature). Ratings on the 10s nearby are rather soft.

There are some fun 11s way up the Deception trail if you're willing to do the 30-40min uphill approach. I don't know which ones dry fast.

The Country at Index has a bunch of 10s and 11s that dry pretty fast. I haven't been on the 12s there. Others can comment.