[TR] Whitehorse - Niederbrum/Lone Pass/High Pass/Whitehorse Glacier 6/3/2011

wbk

Trip: Whitehorse - Niederbrum/Lone Pass/High Pass/Whitehorse Glacier

Date: 6/3/2011

Trip Report:

Jeremy and I climbed Whitehorse this past Friday. Getting to blocked bridge is same as before and road is quick and easy to get to. Hiked road to Niederbrum (sp.?) trailhead and then took the trail up. Made fast time on the approach and soon we were post holing up to Lone Tree Pass. It was cloudy with the sun poking through a wee bit from time to time. The snow was surprisingly soft and mushy for having little to no sun since last weekend. I guess the ambient temps have been higher than we expected. These conditions resulted terrible post holing to High Pass and up to the summit. Shrund is wide open but still an easy step across on the left side. Snow was pretty fresh above ~6000 ft… though I’m sure that’s all changed after Sat and Sunday’s weather.

5807374932_1f182a7e42.jpg

5807377376_b168dae67b.jpg

Yes, I’m sure many of you are wondering why we didn’t take skies. Wasn’t in the cards for us to get the gear all together ahead of time and the snow was so mushy and sticky, I’m not sure the skies would have helped all that much.

For fun, I got greedy in a descent gully and didn’t bother to follow our up tracks so we ended up too far skier’s left of the up trail and we bushwacked out. Took an extra 2-2.5 hrs of fun, North Cascades bushwacking. Pretty silly and annoying (and a good reminder that I’ll hopefully remember for the rest of the season)--we’re laughing about it now. Good trip, great partner.

5807390844_e77b006911.jpg

5806827955_06983f6ca6.jpg

Idiot patrol on the summit

More photos:

Gear Notes:

Roped up for glacier and shrund at top, placed two pickets on way to summit.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic