rappel cord?

layton

So why is there such concern over strength of the pull cord? (other than the obvious strength needs for pulling but that would be like 200-400 pounds) Why wouldn't a cord rated to 600 pounds work?

It's just what happens when the pulling results in a stuck rope: not much fun climbing back up 2mm cord........

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do rap on the pull cord, but I put in that fancy back-up with the knot and biner on the thick rope side of the anchor just in case the rope breaks. I don't like just rapping on the thick cord, but that really jams the knot into the anchor.

one trick to not get the pull cord stuck is stuff the free ends from the anchor into a stuff sack, clip it on your harness and have it feed while rappelling. This is also the cord you pull, so it shouldn't get stuck since the thick rope is the one tumbling down.

The negative to this situation is IF the thick rope gets stuck on it's descent down to you, you are kinda fucked if you have only the pull cord to lead back up on....the the benefit of what Mike (wallstein) is talking about.

I use a fatter pull cord in the desert (8mm) because ropes love getting stuck out here