Unthankful Backcountry Skier!

dan_e

While desending from the Chair Peak basin back to Source Lake a couple of guys I know were stopped by a skier who had dropped down one of the steep chutes up and to the left of Source Lake with his dog, the problem was the dog (the smart one) did not follow him down and was several hundred feet above the base of the chute. So he asked for help and one of the guys who graciously let the guy borrow his ice tools (one being a Cobra I might add) and crampons so he could get his dog. The chute had a small section of ice in the middle and the dog was about 100' or so above this section. So the guy manages to get past the ice to the dog (apparently he was not an ice climber, since he remarked earlier "Oh, you have those technical tools?!"). We missed it, but he either tossed the dog or the dog jumped past the steep section to land into soft powder, still a good distance to fall. The dog appeared unharmed (lucky for the guy) and shook itself off and started to wag its tail. So the guy downclimbs in a bumblie manner, but makes it down to his skis unscathed. He then skied down to us, tossed the bundle of tools and crampons at our feet and then mumbled some half-hearted thank you. I asked him what the hell he was doing bringing a dog into that type of terrain and he replied "I did not know what I was getting into" We were all a bit shocked and I was pissed, but I held back my true East Coast temper, since the guy was clearly brain dead anyway.

I just wanted to share this story with the board and if the skier happens to be on this board and reads this message, I would like to add that we should have taken your dog from you since you clearly don't deserve having such a cool pet and the next time someone offers you help you might try being a bit more thankful and appreciative!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like the guy was genuinely concerned about his dog and took the trouble to bring it with him and rescue it. I don't think you should take dogs climbing or skiing personally because situations like this will occur.

He mumbled thanks for the help, what did you guys expect a grandious handshake and reward of cash? He sounds like he was embarassed and your berating him probably made him want to get as far as possible from you quickly.

Sorry if you find this offensive dan e, but you and your friends sound like whiners to me. So you loaned him a "COBRA" for a few minutes, whats the big deal? I hate to be inconvenienced as much as the next person so maybe I missed your point. confused.gif" border="0 Was it the dog or the mumbled appology or that he is not a top notch climber?

BTW: I thank you for helping the man and his dog, that was very nice of you. smile.gif" border="0

Yes, thanks for helping out the dog, it does sound like the guy was concerned enough to rescue him.

I just got a dog this winter, after much soul-searching. I know that it it has changed my lifestyle, and that I will have to go on stuff where I can take the dog, or not go at all, or go and leave him at home. But I hope to never do anything to endanger him, and it is SO WORTH IT to have a dog!!!!