Petzl Adapt Multimount mod

dan_e

I figured I would share a few mods, you know give back to the community. This one is for the Petzl Adapt. I love the this thing, you know trying to put a headlamp on a helmet is never easy and especially since it's almost always in the dark! That being said it's a flawed product (mounting method) don't trust the adhesive! I followed the instructions to the letter and it still peeled off with ease and it looks ugly anyway. It might work on the smoother surface of the Meteor III, however I am not willing to risk losing my headlamp.

STANDARD WORTHLESS DISCLAIMER: Remember kids, modifying your gear is potentially dangerous and could result in your death or the death of your trusty climbing buddy. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it!

I am not writing much, you know what they say: "a picture...", but I will comment when necessary.

MOD(S) 1&2 Petzl Adapt Multimount.

On the Elios

Steps_1_to_4.jpg

On the Meteor III

Meteor_III_Headlamp_Attachment_Mod.jpg

Now you might be asking yourself two questions, first is it safe? and second will it effect the ability of the helmet to protect my head? Well in the end that's for you to decide, however I am comfortable with the mod, but that's me. Would Petzl approve? hell no!

On the Elios the pop rivet is covered by the internal plastic harness and some EVA foam I added. It's pretty much the same deal on the Meteor III, except there is even more foam between my skull and the tiny pop rivet. There is also a piece of HDPE plastic in there and it's finished off with seam grip and covered with velcro and then a bit of internal padding.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

I would worry about a rivet lobotomy in a frontal impact, especially with the Meteor. Maybe some stronger glue would be in order? Niquid nails and expoy are both very good depending on the application. If the curvature of the hemet is an issue, I'd grind the Multimount to fit or use plumber's putty.

Edited by tradhead

i just put the lamp on top of my helmet at the start of the climb and take it ... helmet doesnt come off

Yes, but the key is to remember to do that! Putting it on in the light with the helmet off is a lot easier.

I guess just like the clean look and it makes me look more like a miner!

Edited by dan_e

Dan,

I would worry about a rivet lobotomy in a frontal impact, especially with the Meteor. Maybe some stronger glue would be in order? Niquid nails and expoy are both very good depending on the application. If the curvature of the hemet is an issue, I'd grind the Multimount to fit or use plumber's putty.

I am not worried at all I was mainly trying to put others at ease. I've had a few comments regarding the rivet (as in adding metal to the helmet). It's really all about the placement.

Not that climbing helmets are nearly as sophisticated, but moto helmet makers tell you to retire a helmet even if you drop it on the ground! It is true that the internal foam cpuld be damaged from the impact, which could, to some degree reduce the amount of head protection if you're in a bad crash, however I think it's more to cover their ass.

Edited by dan_e