[TR] Sahale Peak - East Ridge 10/17/2010

RaisedByPikas

Trip: Sahale Peak - East Ridge

Date: 10/17/2010

Trip Report:

Having done a few glacier/snow climbs, my wife and I decided to get our hands on some alpine rock for the first time. We spent Saturday night at the camp and hit the peak in the morning.

The route above the camp went up the climbers left side of the glacier to avoid some crevasses and then traversed over to the east ridge where the scrambling began.

Being that my wife isn't comfortable with exposed scrambling (and neither of us with exposed down climbing) We broke out the rope when the 4th class started. The route we took went towards the right side of the first prominent step up to a large ledge, maybe twice the size of a large dining room table. From here it was up a slightly bigger than fist sized crack for maybe 20ft and then an easy 20ft to the summit rappel anchor. Above the large ledge I slung a chock stone in the crack and then a horn for protection and didn't feel that pro was necessary below the large ledge.

Spent about 20 windless sunny min on the summit looking at the other peaks, eating and drinking then set up to rappel. Our 60m rope got us to within a 20ft fairly easy down climb to the snow where we traversed back over to the rocks to scramble down to our ice axes and crampons. I never saw a second set of rappel anchors but I was probably too far to climbers right.

The rappel anchors looked to be in good shape with a quick link and thin aluminum ring. If you plan on supplementing them you will probably need 15-20ft of webbing or chord to get around the large boulder.

IMGP1367.JPG

IMGP1398.JPG

IMGP1401.JPG

IMGP1410.JPG

Gear Notes:

Ice axe, crampons, a few slings to sling horns, a 60m twin rope would be ideal if you need a rope.

Approach Notes:

Via Sahale Arm. Saw a bear on the way down.

Edited by RaisedByPikas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it had snowed a few inches on Thursday night so it made the glacier look nice and fresh. There was one set of climbers that soloed it on Saturday. The storm also left a nice pile of fresh snow to melt against the rock walls of the campsites, couldn't ask for better conditions. It looks like the winter snow pack may be starting this weekend so any climbing will be more difficult.

• 4 months later...