Red Rocks Loop- closing at 5pm, starting NOW!

Sherri

BLM Notice for RR Loop Hours

Release Date: 09/20/10

Contacts: Kirsten Cannon , 702-515-5057 , kirsten_cannon@blm.gov

Red Rock Canyon Scenic Drive Hours to Change

Las Vegas – Beginning September 20, the 13-Mile Scenic Drive at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area will close at 5 p.m. The gates will still open at 6 a.m.

The closing time of the scenic drive is adjusted seasonally based on daylight and visitation.

All other closing times at Red Rock Canyon will remain the same. The Red Rock Overlook on State Route 159 and Red Spring will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. through October 31. The visitor center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Say what???? :o

This should generate plenty of income for the park, given that they implemented it on the SAME day the notice of the change was released. Heads up for folks planning to crag in the evening(no late exit permits available for first two pullouts and Willow Springs.)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they change to Fall hours, is it normally 5pm? I thought it was more like 7pm or something? or done later in the season?

This was the old closing schedule(and as it appears it the guidebooks folks will likely be relying on as they plan their climbing day):

Winter (November 1- Feb 28/29) Opens 6 a.m. Closes 5 p.m.

Spring (March 1 – March 31) Opens 6 a.m. Closes 7 p.m.

Summer (April 1 – September 30) Opens 6 a.m. Closes 8 p.m.

Fall (October 1 - October 31) Opens 6 a.m. Closes 7 p.m.

Ouch. I also thought it was 7:00 pm last year, and it happened later in October.

When you call in for the later permit, didn't it just mean you got like a 3-hour time extension? So out by 10:00 pm.

Long routes, and a stuck rope will mean a parking ticket now.

I'll email that contact and get the specifics on the late exit.

Well, I think that this can be changed by many of us not only writing the contact person you listed Sherri, Kirsten at the BLM. But also writing letters/emails to the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce and explaining to them how this is going to be a big deterent to people/climbers/families visiting Las Vegas and spending their money if they are going to close the park at 5 pm with hours of daylight left. Money talks in Vegas, and climbers and visitors to the park spend money on gas, lodging, food, entertainment, on and on. The change of policy is just more then just a little ridiculous for sure.

Calling in for a late exit pass is super easy, it takes just a few minute. I do it almost every time so I can relax at the end of a climb and have a beer without fear of being ticketed.

For alpine starts, consider buying a 2x4 from Home Depot, the 2x4 can be used to jam the tire spikes down so that you can drive into the park through the exit gate before they are open. (This also might get you arrested, the Vegas jail could be interesting at that time of the day. Only the foolish locals use this method)

Edited by eldiente

There's a thread going about this over at Mountain Project, also. Mountain Project thread They recommend contacting Robbie Mcabboy about the issue:

"I just called and found out that Kirsten is a the blm's media person and is not the right person to complain to.

You should call Robbie Mcabboy. You can and should call robbie at 702 515-5074.

You can also email her at Robbie_mcaboy@blm.gov "

Calling in for a late exit pass is super easy, it takes just a few minute. I do it almost every time so I can relax at the end of a climb and have a beer without fear of being ticketed.

The late exit supposedly only buys you three hours past the posted loop closing time. With the earlier closing in place, even with a late exit permit you have to be out by 8pm(which was the old closing time for Sept). That's going to equal a lot of $125 tickets.

I just spoke with Robbie. They are NOT closing the park at 5pm, just the entrance gates. If you are in the park, the original hours still apply.

I told her that the public notice release was poorly worded and did not clearly point this out and it is going to cause allot of grief for them and also climbers if they do not clarify this issue asap. She was very pleasant and agreed and said their intention was not to limit climbing hours, simply to save on wages for the people that man the entrance gates.

Always thought this meant you got a few extra hours after closing, not a leave whenever you're done. I thought it was about a 3 hour extension too. That will mean out by 8:00 pm. It's not even completely dark by then in October!

Imagine... You're the 3rd party on Crimson, you top out a little bit later than expected, but not the end of the world. You start the endless raps. One party below has a rope snafu, it's cleared but now, you're even later. Now you get your rope stuck. 30 mins. later it's clear. You "run" down and to the car, but without a headlamp because it's not dark yet. Yes, back at the car at 8:15 with no epic.... But wait, a fucking parking ticket for $120 - epic after all!

Maybe a dirtbike is the way to go now. Just go wherever, whenever you want.

Ah hell, nevermind my shitty scenario. Just saw the next post. I emailed Robbie too.

Edited by Crillz

It seems as if the squeaky wheel does get the grease. Park hours to return to normal. :tup:

Release Date: 09/23/10

Contacts: Hillerie C. Patton , 702-515-5046 , hillerie_c_patton@blm.gov

Red Rock Is Free Saturday; BLM to Return to Regular Visitation Hours

BLM Notice

Las Vegas — The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) invites everyone to help celebrate National Public Lands Day at the Red Rock National Conservation Area on Saturday, September 25, for a "fee-free" day when site entrance, standard amenity, and individual day-use fees will be waived. The entrance gate at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (NCA) will remain open until 8 p.m. through the end of September.

The BLM is reversing an earlier decision to move to winter hours and close the gate at 5 p.m., after members of the public expressed concern, and some frustration, about the entrance gate closing early.

"We hear and understand the concerns expressed by people who visit Red Rock, and we are changing back to the standard hours of operation," said Tim Wakefield, BLM Red Rock Canyon Assistant Field Manager. "Evening visitation had slowed, so we moved to seasonal hours of operation a few weeks early; however, people have made it clear they do intend to recreate after 5 p.m. during September and October."

Standard hours of operation for the 13-mile Scenic Drive, Red Rock Overlook on State Route 159, and Red Spring are:

October 6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

November – February 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

March 6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

April – September 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.

The Visitor Center hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. year round.

Red Rock Canyon was designated as Nevada's first National Conservation Area. Red Rock Canyon is located 17-miles west of the Las Vegas Strip on Charleston Boulevard/State Route 159. The unique geologic features, plants and animals of Red Rock Canyon NCA represent some of the best examples of the Mojave Desert. In 1990, special legislation supported by the Nevada congressional delegation, changed the status of the Red Rock Recreation Lands to a National Conservation Area (NCA), the seventh to be designated nationally.

The BLM manages more land - more than 245 million acres - than any other Federal agency. This land, known as the National System of Public Lands, is primarily located in 12 Western states, including Alaska. The Bureau, with a budget of about $1 billion, also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. The BLM's multiple-use mission is to sustain the health and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations. The Bureau accomplishes this by managing such activities as outdoor recreation, livestock grazing, mineral development, and energy production, and by conserving natural, historical, cultural, and other resources on public lands.

--BLM--

Red Rock Sloan Field Offfice 4701 N. Torrey Pines Drive Las Vegas, NV 89130

• 4 weeks later...

I've talked with the 2 "climbing rangers" about "Late Exit" and based partly on those conversations and mostly on my personal experiences...... when the park is closed they do a sweep. When they see your vehicle unattended during the sweep and they check your plates and compare to the list they have in hand, they ignore your auto.

When they complete the sweep (takes 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours usually), they go home. G'night.

They do not return 3.5 hours after closing, to perform a second sweep to check on the 3 to 14 vehicles with Late Exit passes. They're already chillin' with cold beverage in hand. Their work day is done.

It's my significant experience that as long as your auto is gone an hour before they open the park, you're golden.

just sayin