Hello... Introduction

HiT

Just saying hello and have a few questions to ask. Of course I am a newbie but I am as new as they come. I have never climbed before but I am very interested in learning.

I have no clue where to start. I haven't been hiking very long either but the more scrambles I do, the more I want to climb.

Any input is highly appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you live?

Washington has the Mountaineers organization which has different chapters around the State ( I think). There might be other climbing organizations up in WA, but I would start there. Portland has the Mazamas, and Bend, Salem and Eugene have their groups, too.

Climbing gyms all have intro "learn to climb" classes with instruction and a temporary ( month long?) membership pass.

You can find what your looking for by "google-ing" a club or gym in your area.

Good luck!

if what you are looking for is a ticket to wilderness adventure then don't spend too long in the climbing gyms - they'll ruin yer sense of wilderness adventure and tune you in solely to face climbing and clipping bolts. they are a good place to start, just don't get too comfortable in them or you won't know what to do once you get outside and start seeing cracks.

and yes, i know that some gyms have cracks built into their walls and that is great (the mazama walls have several and they feel really cool) but the bottom line is get outside as soon as, and as much as, you can!

bon chance!

Lots of good options in the northwest -

Mountaineers, Boeing Alpine club (BoeAlps), Washington Alpine Club (WAC) all have both introductory and more advanced mountaineering courses. Personally I'm a Mounty and have been happy with their courses, but know a few BoeAlps and they seem to be good folks as well. The up side is that they are all long courses that really allow the information to sink in, and you get lots of repetition. Down side is that they are long courses that progress fairly slowly and have conservative approaches to things. For the Mounties, the cost of the course is pretty low, but the commitment tends to be high (quite a few weekends). These can all be a great place to start. Bigger cost is your personal gear.

You can also always go through a guide service and hire someone for an intensive weekend. Commitment level is lower but the cost is higher.

Once you know how to belay you can also volunteer to be a belay slave and can often find partners on here willing to teach a bit on cragging days.

Have fun :wave:

If you have questions about the Mounties let me know.

Get yourself a copy of freedom of the hills, may want to wait for the 8th edition, I hear its out in some places now though. Read all of it and practice knots with any short chunk of rope.

+1 for the Boealps course. Its pretty intense (1 night a week and then pretty much at least 1 day a weekend) for the 3 months its going but well worth it ($350ish). You climb with the same team throughout the course so its a good way to find good partners and make friends. Registration is usually early feb and it fills up fast if you don't work at Boeing so get there early. They will tell you at the beginning that if you miss a weekend that you cant pass but that's not entirely true. You just have to make it up before they pass you and you cant miss the first few outings.

The course says that if you can get the the top of Mt Si in 4 hours with a 30lb pack then you will be fine physically and that's pretty much true.

As for gear buying, If you don't have backpacking gear, patrol the backpackinglight.com forums for great deals along with nwhikers.net and mountainproject.com Most of the stuff you need can be obtained used for about 50% or more off retail

Edited by RaisedByPikas

Thanks RaisedByPicas... That is very helpful info... I have never done Si but I was doing little Si Tues and Thurs after work so maybe I should head on up to the crowds!

I will keep an eye out for that book.

I have also been looking on NWHikers as well. I signed up there when I started hiking in May. I have all my backpacking gear now the same way, used or gifted... headed to Stuart next weekend and Three Fingers after that. I want to be able to do all the fingers one day!

• 1 month later...