climb in ecuador?

nolan

My girlfriend and myself are going to be in S. America in March and are going to climb Cotopaxi. This is through Andisimo guide co. out of Quito. We are looking to see if anyone would be interested in doing this climb and possible Chimboroza (according to weather). We are arriving in Quito on Mar.1 and will be acclimatizing on our own on the 2nd and 3rd. We will then go with Andisimo on a acclimatization hike on the 4th and then climb Cotopaxi on the 5th and 6th. We are making this a quick climb because we have a lot of treking to do. The cost of the guide service is reasonable but it gets better as the climbing party increases. If anyone is interested let us know. mollynolan@povn.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If you have any mountaineering experience you do not need a guide on Cotopaxi...that is if you do the main route. It is a simple and very straight forward mountain. Chimbo is a bit more challenging but again, if you are an experienced NW mountaineer that has spent time on the NW volcanoes, you will be fine without a guide.

I also wouldn't trust South American Guides unless they are guiding with a North American company, Mountain Madness, AAI, etc. Their safety record can be good but is usually bad. Their rescue techniques are usually horrible too.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Save your money.