Buying used AT Bindings

RaisedByPikas

So I have decided that I don't want to walk down snow covered mountains anymore and therefore need some AT skis. While researching the internets about buying used ski gear I come across the warnings about indemnified bindings but does this even apply to AT bindings? Basically am I wasting my money if I buy some Dynafits used?

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd stay away from older Fritschi bindings as they tend to release into "instant free-heel mode" while skiing in downhill mode. Not a good thing, especially with a pack on in bad snow conditions. I think the ones made after 2005ish (?? maybe earlier??) no longer have that issue.

Used AT bindings in good condition work fine - as evidenced by the tens of thousands of people skiing on used AT bindings.

I'd stay away from older Fritschi bindings as they tend to release into "instant free-heel mode" while skiing in downhill mode. Not a good thing, especially with a pack on in bad snow conditions. I think the ones made after 2005ish (?? maybe earlier??) no longer have that issue.

I'd suggest that this phenomena is mostly internet bullshit.

Concur. Never seen this happen on properly-adjusted freerides. I have seen broken toe pieces, and one unfortunate guy who had one of his NEW model freerides crack right off the ski while skinning, leaving him with a lot of walking. An acquaintance who writes for the skiing industry says he has seen that "often". First time I've seen it, and I've had no problems with the originals after many seasons of use. I haven't used them in awhile now though.

Used AT bindings in good condition work fine - as evidenced by the tens of thousands of people skiing on used AT bindings.

That must be why it kept happening to me, over and over again with my old Fritschis... Probably just a phantom of my imagination that my heels were unlocked spontaneously due to the excessive spray intake and my weak, impressionable mind soaking it all up... :rolleyes:

Seemed to mostly happen with a pack on more than without one on (heavier load on the bindings), but it did happen at the resort several times too.

I bought used Fritschi freerides last season, got them mounted on a used set of skis with used skins and strapped it all onto my feet with a used pair of boots, and loved the setup. No weird spontaneous free-heel action for me. granted I wasn't ripping any sickly steep lines, although the gear did get me up and down the Muir Snowfield in March.

Given the price of new AT gear I would go with used gear and spend some cash to get it all mounted and tuned by a professional ski shop. They should be able to tell if the gear is in working order or not. I would recommend Backpacker Supply as they did an excellent job for me, but alas they're no longer around.

Granted, the bindings I had issues with were very old, I think from the mid to late 90's. Fact is, those models are prone to release into free heel mode. Also, many ski techs/shops won't mount or work on the older ones for liability reasons. I have some newer ones (still pretty old but from this century) and they have not had the free heel release issue.

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty set on dynafits (and nothing that old) due to the weight issue (yes i care about 2lbs). I just want to make sure I understand this correctly... Ski shops will only work on indemnified alpine bindings for liability reasons but they will work on any AT binding?

Edited by RaisedByPikas

That must be why it kept happening to me, over and over again with my old Fritschis... Probably just a phantom of my imagination that my heels were unlocked spontaneously due to the excessive spray intake and my weak, impressionable mind soaking it all up... :rolleyes:

Probably a shitty mount job :wave: If the heel lifter/lock wasn't positioned properly, and with heavy ski flex (soft skis, big pack), you could "instatele". Well adjusted, not so much of a problem ime. Ya, Fritschis broke. Dukes are heavy and break. Silvrettas self destruct. Dynafit pins break. Life's a bitch.

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty set on dynafits (and nothing that old) due to the weight issue (yes i care about 2lbs). I just want to make sure I understand this correctly... Ski shops will only work on indemnified alpine bindings for liability reasons but they will work on any AT binding?

Negative ghost-rider.

He said ski shops won't work on ancient bindings for liability reasons. If the binding looks old and decrepit and a tech knows it was not sold recently they won't touch it. If that has happened to anybody, take it as a hint to buy new gear, or be stubborn and just buy a better insurance policy.

Snow's coming soon!!