Climathon for Luke Gullberg at REI this Saturday!

scottgg

Memorial Climb/Fundraiser at the Seattle REI this Saturday (July 24th) from Noon -5pm

North_Cascades_0871.jpg

Hey Y'all! Hope your able to enjoy this beautiful summer weather up in the hills! As many of you know, Luke Gullberg was killed this past December on Mt Hood, while trying to climb the Reid Headwall with Anthony Vietti and Katie Nolan. Luke was passionate about the outdoors, a consummate friend, athlete, writer, and climber. I'll always remember him as the best friend who just happened to be my brother. We climbed several routes together, usually day trips up big peaks. He always lobbied for the crux pitch, and never shied away from step kicking duties.

After I left Washington for the East Coast, Luke and I would

periodically chat on the phone about life, girls, and of course climbing. Instead of continuing to seek out challenging, technical routes, Luke instead spent his free weekends taking others up easier routes on classic peaks: Baker, Rainier, Baring, ect. He introduced dozens of people to the outdoors, and if you were ever fortunate enough to climb with him, then you no doubt remember his big pack and patient attitude.

Luke worked for REI, and they have generously agreed to sponsor a Climbathon this Saturday, 12 to 5pm on the Pinnacle Climbing Tower in their Seattle store.

We are asking for a minimum donation of $50 to climb the wall, and all proceeds will go towards “Luke’s Wall”, a professional climbing wall to be built at LBC on Whidbey Island.

There will also be t-shirts for sale, so come on down! Thanks!

IMG_43591.jpg

North_Cascades_160.jpg

Texas_36.JPG

n42901741_31193328_3021.jpg

IMG_01241.jpg

P1060732.JPG

Baring_Mnt_031.jpg

Ingles_Peak_2007_017.jpg

northeast_couloir_087.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply