Fly Fishing

Dustin B.

does anyone around here fish at all? gotta love those secret back country lakes at the base of the cirque.

I saw some big ass browns swimmin in Freemount Canyon... thought about rappin down with my rod but decided to just climb instead lol. Good way to spend a rainy rest day!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 4 piece that I take camping when we hike into a lake. I tie crappy flies too but they seem to work. The fish don't really care if they're pretty as long as the right features are there or they're eating everything.

BC lakes tend to have trees right to the water so it's not great most of the time. I sacrifice a lot of flies to the trees behind.

BC lakes tend to have trees right to the water so it's not great most of the time. I sacrifice a lot of flies to the trees behind.

Spey cast

Yes, I agree. You can spey cast on any rod. I spey with a 4/5 wt 4pc. I find it is simply better then the roll cast with a WF line.

just watch this video if that made no sense

i fish. 4 piece spinning rod

use a clear water weighted bobber to get out flies, occasionally use a tiny spoon. Fun way to chill, explore around camps.

ah yea spoons are heavy though :) worth there weight in food though if u plan to eat any fish. spoons are deadly.

the spoons i have are not debarbed, though half my flies are. I do have trebles on a few spinners but I've rarely used them. Find a lot of luck with the wooly booger or just spoons if they are not hitting the surface. Most of the alpine lakes I've fished were originally fishless, and were stocked long ago, so when I do keep any to fry up or cook over the fire, they're rainbows or brookies. That is to say, if I was fishing native fish/river fish, and healthy populations (see below) I'd have a different attitude towards keeping and gear used.

To that end I've found the higher elevation lakes that do have fish in them tend to trend towards eel shaped (starving). Some of those lakes could use to have half the fish removed, I wonder what the mortality rate/demographics are. For instance Blue Lake in the wallowas along the shallower east shore had hundreds of eel-shaped 8 inch rainbows. Maybe there were some normal fish in the deeper areas.

mmmhmm got me thinking of an 8lb dolly varden taken up on upper twin lake in alaska (where that hermit-guy dick pronnoeke lived). that was a fun catch.

the spoons i have are not debarbed, though half my flies are. I do have trebles on a few spinners but I've rarely used them. Find a lot of luck with the wooly booger or just spoons if they are not hitting the surface. Most of the alpine lakes I've fished were originally fishless, and were stocked long ago, so when I do keep any to fry up or cook over the fire, they're rainbows or brookies. That is to say, if I was fishing native fish/river fish, and healthy populations (see below) I'd have a different attitude towards keeping and gear used.

To that end I've found the higher elevation lakes that do have fish in them tend to trend towards eel shaped (starving). Some of those lakes could use to have half the fish removed, I wonder what the mortality rate/demographics are. For instance Blue Lake in the wallowas along the shallower east shore had hundreds of eel-shaped 8 inch rainbows. Maybe there were some normal fish in the deeper areas.

mmmhmm got me thinking of an 8lb dolly varden taken up on upper twin lake in alaska (where that hermit-guy dick pronnoeke lived). that was a fun catch.

yes often times when u have lots of small fish the population stresses the food supply. The best things to do for an overpopulated lake is to take your limit and make a nice chowder in camp out of the small fish. lay 4 pinky sized twigs in the bottom of a frying pan/pot, then fill it half way to the top of the sticks with water. pput on the lid and steam the fish until the flesh starts to flake off, then pick out the bones. now u have a great fish base to use for chowder.