Himalayan Mountaineering Institute

RelaxTheBody

Hi all, im new to the forum and dont know if this is in the right place or not! Apoligies if it is in the wrong section.

I am just looking for a bit of information. I am considering taking a course with the Himalayan mountaineering institute in Darjeeling India. I was just curious about their reputation and weather any one has had any experiance with them?

Thanks for the help in advance!

RelaxTheBody

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you located? A lot will also depend on what other options you are looking at, and on your current experience level. I'm guessing you're looking at their level 1 course (the first one), which is typically 4-weeks long. A friend of mine took this course with HMI 2-3 years back. It was a reasonable experience according to him, and definitely worth the cheap fees charged. This course typically includes an attempt on a ~5000m peak in the end (my friend was sick, and hence did not go for the summit attempt). Also, if you haven't been to the Himalayas, and have the four+ weeks of time at hand, this course would be a nice way to get a taste of the bigger mountains while learning the ropes, literally.

Mountaineering in India is not a "recreational sport" as it is out in the West (US/Europe). Most instructors in HMI will be from the armed forces, and they often teach this course to increase the chances of getting promoted to higher ranks. While many of them will be experienced in climbing for the sake of climbing, it is not the main job for them - as it is often the case with climbing guides in US/Europe. As such, they often approach climbing in the same regimented way as they would approach an army operation. This approach by itself is not that bad - just that they won't treat you as a "client" or a "customer" as most of the guides out in West do.

Thanks also to the regimented military approach to climbing, they are less or often not willing to make changes in the program to suit you better. For instance, I would've loved to take their level 2 advanced course, given my moderate experience level and some familiarity with basics. But as a rule, you cannot register for a level 2 course unless you have the certificate of completion of a level 1 course from HMI, or a similar mountaineering institute form India.

As mentioned above, if you are based in the US, you'll be much better off taking a week-long course with AAI, or a similar institution. Of course, if you are traveling to India any way, and want to spend a bunch of time in the mountains, the HMI course will be quite worth it.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

The American Alpine Institute is actually based out of Bellingham, Alpine Ascents International is the other AAI which is based out of Seattle. From all accounts I've heard both offer great courses and guided climbs.

Also check out the NW Mountain School in Leavenworth... I've never taken a course with them but every time I talk to John and Olivia I am more impressed with them both in terms of technical competence and how detail-oriented they are and just being super nice people.

Thanks for the quick response people it is much appreciated!

I am actually based in Ireland so it would mean travelling either way! The thing that appealed to me was the cheap prices as mentioned above and i have read good reports from Indian forums but i wanted another source to verify for obvious reasons.

@ Pup_On_The_Mountain.... Thanks mate i wouldnt worry to much about the regimental military side of things too much. I am in the army myself so it wont come as to much of a shock. Did your friend mention any thing negative in relation to conditions and meals etc. My level of experiance is limited to navigation and the small mountains of Ireland which may as well be regarded as hills as they simply require good level of fitness to reach the top.

Again thanks for the help!

RelaxTheBody

The American Alpine Institute is actually based out of Bellingham, Alpine Ascents International is the other AAI which is based out of Seattle

Real nice sales ploy that Alpine Ascent International chose in picking their name, choose the initials of the (then) best known general guide service in the NW, and siphon off some business. If one chose their guide service based on above board business practices, I guess they would choose the American Alpine Institute or Mountain Madness.

Alpine Ascents can hang in the gutter with Vern Funk Insurance and the Law Offices of Michael Gallagher

Why not the Alps? They are close to you, have great access, bountiful terrain, and you could gain a wealth of experience quickly. Then you can go on and climb things yourself.

Wouldn't put that much stock in to any formal mountaineering in India; a 5000m peak there won't necessarily offer much of a challenge either. If you are still interested there's also:

http://www.adventurehimalaya.org/aboutwhmi.asp

Near Manali so is easier to get to from Delhi/major airport

Hi Hugh,

The reason i am interested in the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute is that it is a government organisation which is subsidised meaning it is very cheap! Cost is a major factor for me. It is only $650 for the 28 day basic course. This is good value compared to other courses i have looked at especially when i factor in travel costs etc. Thank you for your suggestions though! Its appreciated.

RelaxTheBody

I looked up the HMI course because it seemed like a unique adventure.

I contacted the HMI coordinator and he gave me the email address of brit who had completed it recently. Unfortunately, I can't find his email at the moment.

The brit guy had some experience going in and said that while it was very different, it was also enjoyable. He did say that you need to be careful about the safety. Indians tended to use runners, and slings longer than most climbers in the States would.

Thanks again lads,

whoiswillhockett did you not go for the course in the end? I have just rang the HMI there and spoke to one of the members who said there are places available on the basic and advanced so i am thinking about just applying.

Thanks for the help, if any one else has any other experiances i would still like to hear then, Cheers!

RelaxTheBody

It's important to remember that you get what you pay for. Little warnings about a government run guide service should probably present you with a number of red flags.

You will definitely get the best training from professional western guides who have spent their lives honing both their crafts and their teaching skills...

Jason

Jason i understand where you are coming from alright, but do you not think the price is relative to the country in question? I mean India is inherintly cheaper than the western countries and as such the courses run there will be too. I felt more at ease when i found out it was a ministry for defence course, why would you think it should present me with red flags? Here is the link for any one who is interested in seeing their website

http://www.himalayanmountaineeringinstitute.com/

Thanks again,

RelaxTheBody

Did your friend mention any thing negative in relation to conditions and meals etc.
He didn't have any complaints. It was of course Indian food, and being Indian, he didn't have any issues with it.

BTW, he had done the course five years back (and not three years back as I mentioned earlier). FWIW, some pictures from his trip are available here.

You will definitely get the best training from professional western guides who have spent their lives honing both their crafts and their teaching skills...

This advice may be true, and is probably true in most cases It should be noted that the individual offering this advice is a professional western guide. His advice probably contains some degree of professional territoriality, western bias, unfamiliarity with the program in question, and conflict of interest

Pup thats great thanks! It is good to see the photos and it actually looks like a good bit of craic! Thats been a good help mate.

Num1mc thanks for that, i appreciate your reply.All input is appreciated. Good to get such a good response from you lads.

Relax The Body