[TR] Chair Peak North Ridge - 1/28/2010

ilookeddown

Trip: Chair Peak North Ridge -

Date: 1/28/2010

Trip Report:

Monika and I went to try and ski a line off the north ridge of Chair Peak. We started from Alpental and headed up toward Source Lake. We made it up to Chair Peak Basin in about an hour. We climbed up and over the notch where it became very windy. We traversed under the north face of Chair to a lower summit (5,919ft). We were hoping to ski the NE face down to Chair Lake but we found travel too exposed to attempt with the gear we had. We changed our plan and skied the SE face down to Snow Lake. It ended up being a 1,900 ft line. Snow was very wind affected most of the way down. The last 500ft was great powder. We skinned across Snow Lake then up and over the divide and back down to Source Lake then back to Alpental. The distance was about 6 miles with 3,300ft of elevation gain. Good tour but not what we were hoping to accomplish today.

Moniak traversing the North side of Chair

CIMG2059.JPG

Monika with Snow Lake Below

CIMG2069.JPG

Moniak With Chair Peak

CIMG2073.JPG

Me

CIMG2075.JPG

me

CIMG2077.JPG

me

CIMG2079.JPG

Monkia on her way down to Snow Lake

CIMG2084.JPG

Moniak Near Snow Lake

CIMG2093.JPG

Gear Notes:

Touring stuff

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, you need to ski with partners with easier names to spell :D

Also, I'm confused, and I know the climbing route names can get confusing, but the SE face (climbing's "East" face) doesn't really go towards Snow lake. Were you guys looking to ski the NE Face (climbing's "North Face") and ended up skiing the N Face proper?

Regardless, it looks like some good skiing!

Like I said in my post “We climbed up and over the notch where it became very windy. We traversed under the north face of Chair to a lower summit (5,919ft).”

The peak is NNE of Chair proper on the ridge. The aspect we skied was SE. Once we were lower and off the peak the line we skied then turns east then turns north down to the lake.

I apologize to Monika. Guess I was typing too fast and did not notice.

Like I said in my post “We climbed up and over the notch where it became very windy. We traversed under the north face of Chair to a lower summit (5,919ft).”

The peak is NNE of Chair proper on the ridge. The aspect we skied was SE. Once we were lower and off the peak the line we skied then turns east then turns north down to the lake.

I apologize to Monika. Guess I was typing too fast and did not notice.

Ok, I see this other high point up and left and how you can ski SE from it. Understand now.

Saw you below us at the base of Source Lake. We started up the wrong gully in the fog. Source Lake Line is climbing like 5+ 6ish with 12-24 inches of bad ice to break through before you can get a good stick. The gear is shite and more or less non existent. Dave and I beat it out into easier shape by the time we were done running laps.