Spantik Liners

PeakDream

So, I ponied up the money and got myself a pair of spantik and climbed 4 days so far in them in Vermont. They performed very well at moderate ice so far, never had cold feet (-10 temp). One of my goals this year is to do denali. I'm debating whether I should upgrade the liners to Intuition liner for weight and warmth. I got a couple of questions:

1. Sportiva rep doesn't have the weight of the liners, I'm wondering how much weight I'll save.

2. I heard conflicting information as to whether Spantik is warm enough for Denali or not. While I don't get cold feet, I rather stay on the conservative side. What's your opition?

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't save much weight...oz's at best. But the Intuition is a lot warmer and you use less sox so the soxes are easier to dry and change out of.

Intuitions also make the boot much stiffer.

Either way the boot is warm enough for Denali.

Sorta but not really. The Spantik can be a bitch to get tight if you have fit ptoblems, both inner and outer boot could have been done better imo. New outer, old style '80s inner. But lots of folks climbing hard stuff in them in Alaska and elsewhere with and without Intuition liners. The Baruntse goes back to the old style laces on the outer shell which does allow a tight technical fit when required. The Baruntse's inner boot is super easy to use with a single wrap and velcro lace system.

Kinda a scaled down Intuition in fact with laces.

Spantiks never fit me well because of the outer lace system. Intuition liner gave a much better but not perfect fit. But the Spantiks have generally fit most folks. Baruntses fit me off the shelf. I also use the same Intuition liner in them (or can) but don't like the issue of the big cuff. I do however really like the simple over lapping cuff and how easy they are to use in cold weather.

No question the Intuition is warmer than the factory liners of either Sportiva dbl boot. If you don't like the Spantik liner might be cheaper and a better fit to use a Baruntse liner.....and it is heat formable.

Take a look here on cc.com for the Baruntse review with direct comparisons to the Spantiks. Pictures might give you some other ideas.

Stiffer ankle (because you are compressing more cuff) with the Intuition can be a good thing depending on the route you choose for Denali.