Shasta/Clear Creek

Bill_Simpkins

This topic looked a little empty so I thought I would talk about my trip up Shasta in the Summer to offer some beta.

We left for the Clear Creek Route at 12:30 am on July 1st and had a very easy summit around 8 am or so. The only downer was the altitude gain. I think it was from 6000' to 14,100'. In short, about 8000' in 7 hours [MR T] . The route was non-technical. In fact it was a glorified hike with an ice axe. There was a trail most of the way, however it was easier to stay on the hard snow. The whole time was very nice, and the views were great. Highly recommended over the Avalanche Gulche Route because we were the only ones on the Clear Creek Route and we met 30 or so people at the summit [Wazzup] . We felt like we had the whole SE side to ourselves. We had time left in the day to drive to Lake Tahoe [sleep] .

[ 11-18-2002, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Bill Simpkins ]

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the north side next time.. vey few people climb the North side. It is no cake walk. This summer my partner and I will go over the north side, camp on summit, and come down the south side. If early season we will snowshoe in just to make it interesting.