Touring ski recommendation (for a noob)?

scheissami

Looking for some advice regarding skis. I'm a snowboarder learning to ski (been out skiing about 30-40 days). I have BD Kilowatts 165 and Dynafits for resort and BC use. I weigh 140lbs and I'm 6'0".

A friend has recommended that I also check out some waxless touring skis for low-angle terrain and for groomed trails (would still make alpine turns, not tele). There's a pretty good deal on Alpina Lite Terrain Skis, which he recommended highly, along with the Rottefella NNN BC manual binding.

The question: what size to get? Still very new to skiing and these skis aren't super expensive, but I'm hoping to get something that will last. Should I get the 158 or 168s?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

140 lbs at 6', you are a noodle, just kidding. I have the alpina lite terrains. These skis are not meant for groomed trails. They are too wide to fit in single track. The are great for meadow skipping and logging road skiing. For maximum flOAT and also kick and glide, you should get the longest skis possible. Get the 169, and if you think you are primarily going to be busting turns in "powder"/untracked snow, I would even go with the 178 at your hieght and weight. Do not get the NNN bindings if you are planning on alpine turns, they don't have enough lateral stiffness. Mount a small riser and good 3 pin (voile cable or hardwire), and pair with a sturdy all leather 3 pin boot or light plastic boot. I ski mine with old grean 2 buckle T2s and voile 3 pin cable.

I would also plan on mounting them yourself with pins on chord center. If you let the shop do it without your boots in hand, your boot heel may not be centered. If you need help with directions on mounting your self (it is actually pretty easy), send a pm.

I got mine at the link below, not sales tax, and free shippping:

http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/alpina-lite-terrain-backcountry-skis-0708.html

Edited by shapp