the north face elephant's foot

sklag

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be bold and give an opinion on this bag based only on the specs comparing it to my bag of choice - the FF Vireo. As far as I can tell from not having used the Elephant's foot the only thing it has going for it is the price.

The Elephant's foot has 3oz less of fill (also synthetic vs. down), is 10" shorter and weighs 2oz more but is $105 cheaper. It also has a much wider cut which is less efficient for staying warm.

I probably sound a bit like a broken record after robpatterson's thread the other day but I have just been really impressed with the performance of my Vireo and haven't found anything from anyone besides WM to rival it.

I'm not a big fan of the elephant's foot concept. A more versatile option would be one of the many "pounder" ultralight 800+ down bags that would be comfortable to near-freezing, and easily pushed colder by wearing a bivvy jacket and folding the top of the bag back down over the leg portion to give a double thickness over the legs. I used this tactic at 21000' topping out on the French South Face route on Aconcagua in January of 1990. It allowed me to get away with a 1-lb sleeping bag, in perfect comfort, on the highest wall in the western hemisphere... and I still use that same 1-lb bag without the big jacket on most of my summer trips!

I totally agree with montypiton. Although I never used his system on a big peak like Aconcagua, I have used my FF Rock Wren with a belay jacket on modest peaks like Baker and Glacier with good results. I had an elephants foot bag a long time ago, and had "gaposis" problems...cold around the midsection. I relegated that bag to my children when they were smaller. I have also used the Montbell Alpine Down Hugger and been impressed with the warmth to weight...the elastic seems to help minimize the air space your body needs to warm.