Replacing a Mixmaster jacket?

robpatterson5

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some little old lady taught me in 1980s, "A pint's a pound, the world around."

A pint of water is trivial; in order to save equivalent weight by dealing with basically crappy zipper and somewhat doubtful shell material, vs. say, two pounds for somewhat more robust construction of light schlafsack, is at least, somewhat questionable.

I compensate with very light one-pound bivy, which adds considerable protection and is reasonable solution. Most of these shells weigh considerably more.

Probably references to d*cks are relevant to a few posters who in general, don't seem to think broadly about gear.

Rob check this out and the other "climbing" selection listed there as well. Just found it looking for your old jacket. Cool site and info I think.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/patagonia.go?assetid=45342

I have a MX and use it alot and my go to shell garment all winter. But the newest Patagucci piece looks really good as well. FWIW seeing reviews where a garment is well liked for snow boarding tells me that it is likely too warm as a piece of the "action suit" for winter climbing in most reasonable temps.

Thanks Dane - I'm thinking the MX may be in my future - the pata looks WARM!

Too bad though, what I really liked about the mixmaster was that they targeted different areas with more or less insulation - that and it was a really trim fit, something that pata seems to be moving away from :(

If anyone else has any softshells that they really like I'd love to hear.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_alibi_jacket.html

I got one of these a few weeks ago (used for a few days of skiing, ice climbing, alpine climbing), and it is definitely the best softshell (of the 10 or so I own/owned) that I've used. It is a hybrid. Super breathable underarms and on back. A bit warmer in the core. A bit more waterproof on the shoulders/hood. Has a sweet balaclava under-helmet hood thingy. So far, very impressed.

Edited by TrogdortheBurninator

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_alibi_jacket.html

I got one of these a few weeks ago (used for a few days of skiing, ice climbing, alpine climbing), and it is definitely the best softshell (of the 10 or so I own/owned) that I've used. It is a hybrid. Super breathable underarms and on back. A bit warmer in the core. A bit more waterproof on the shoulders/hood. Has a sweet balaclava under-helmet hood thingy. So far, very impressed.

2nd that, I love mine too.